Getting to Know the New Faculty at Marymount

Christina Fazio '18, Staff Writer

The first part of the new school year is coming to an end, yet many of us still don’t know much about the new teachers and faculty members of Marymount. We are aware of their presence, but few of us truly know their story or why they chose Marymount. I sat down with four new members of the Marymount community, and after hearing their stories, it is clear that Marymount is extremely lucky to have gained such wonderful staff members!

Mrs. Cowan, who teaches British Literature, English I and Writing Workshop, had the privilege to attend an all-girls high school in her teenage years and wanted to give back to a similar community. From speaking with her, I learned how much she values her students and teaching at Marymount. Some of the older Marymount students, myself included, recognize Mrs. Cowan more formerly as Ms. Anicich, since she taught English to middle schoolers at St. Brendan School in Hancock Park. Mrs. Cowan always knew that she wanted to be an English teacher because she believes, “…through literature you can look at the world in so many different perspectives.” In her free time, she enjoys running and hiking outdoors as well as cooking; she also loves to go to the movies with her husband and read. She identifies the most important aspect of teaching as, “trying to help girls become good citizens in the world and take what they learn in the classroom and apply it to the real world.”

Photo by Noel Ermer '19
Photo by Noel Ermer ’19

Many of the current juniors may recognize the new sophomore class advisor, Ms. Purpura, because before she became the tenth-grade counselor, she filled in for Ms. DeMuro when she was having her second baby, Tanner. She also came in last year to talk to the current juniors about rape prevention. She was familiar with the Marymount community and quite fond of the girls; thus, when a position became open at Marymount, she didn’t hesitate! Ms. Purpura always knew that she wanted to work with kids, but it wasn’t until she was in graduate school that she realized her passion for working with young teenage girls, which led her to an internship at Notre Dame Academy. She also explains that “As an adult, these negative belief systems are so ingrained, and it’s hard to shift out of that; your brain as an adolescent is easier to build up before you get into that stage.” Some of her hobbies include cooking and connecting with her friends when she has free time. She worked in the cooking industry for eight years, loves to explore new restaurants with her friends, and believes that yoga is an important part of self-care, as well. Ms. Purpura articulates the best part of her job is when “…the girls come in and can connect with me and I get to know them on a personal level, rather just know who they are based on their schedules on the computer.” She then adds that her hope for Marymount girls is to realize that, “they are not experts on anyone else’s life because everyone has their own story.”

Photo by Noel Ermer '19
Photo by Noel Ermer ’19

You may be familiar with Dr. Doan, the new addition to the math department who always wears those creative ties and teaches Algebra II and Precalculus. He applied to teach at Marymount because he had a great experience previously teaching at an all-girls school and wanted to continue teaching teenage girls. Although Dr. Doan loves teaching mathematics, when he graduated high school and began college, he didn’t think he wanted to be a teacher; that is until he “started doing some teaching in mathematics and neuroanatomy during graduate school and fell in love with it.” His interests include biking, as he bikes to school every day. He also believes that the students are the best part of being a teacher, and he wants to “instill a love of learning beyond what is encountered here at Marymount.”

Photo by Noel Ermer '19
Photo by Noel Ermer ’19

The new theology department welcomes Ms. Sheena, as she teaches the theology course for seniors, World Religion. Ms. Sheena had previously taught in New York at St. Regis, an all-boys school that often works hand-in-hand with Marymount New York. However, Ms. Sheena and her husband had to move across the country, at which time she saw an open position at Marymount. She felt connected to our school and began the application process. Some of her pastimes include hiking and going to the beach; she said, “I found the subject of theology really engaging and enjoyed thinking about big philosophical and theological ideas.” Thus, she continued her studies in the matter. She articulates that she views the most important obligation of her job as being “… not only responsible for teaching content but also creating a space in my classroom where students feel empowered, valued, free to ask questions, explore and reflect on themselves and what they believe.”

Photo by Noel Ermer '19
Photo by Noel Ermer ’19

If you pass any of these faculty members in the halls at Marymount, take the time to talk to them or get to know them, because these are the new members of our Marymount community and our sailor family.