A Spirited Proposal

Sophie Regan '16, Staff Writer

Every year, after Spirit Week has come and gone, teachers, students, and administrators take a moment or two out of their busy schedules to question whether such a week is beneficial to our school community. No other week of the year leads to such heavy debate and conflicting opinions. The competition between classes has its flaws, but has countless benefits as well. Firstly, Spirit Week stimulates the economy. You may ask, “How does it stimulate the economy?” Well, it stimulates the economy in several ways. Each class collected enough money for five days of spirit throughout the year. This cash was then spread to local small businesses like Party City, the discount party super store, and internet retailers, many who currently manufacture their goods in overseas sweatshops. As every American knows, small businesses are the backbone of the economy, and, as profit margins increase, those internet retailers will be able to stop using sweatshops and bring some jobs back to America. Not only does it help our aching pocket books, but Spirit Week also helps end the injustice in our world.

Secondly, Spirit Week increases respect for our educational institution via our creative selfies. It is not uncommon to log on to Facebook and see a bunch of pictures of the same people wearing the same clothes in the same locations. Eventually, it is impossible to take any more pictures of the exact same thing. Luckily, during Spirit Week, everyone wears fun and different clothing, thus allowing for more selfies. Because students will spend time taking these photos and picking the correct filters for maximum likes, they won’t spend as much time studying, and, as a result, our GPAs will drop and everyone can stop worrying about getting into college and only be concerned with selfies and more school spirit.

Finally, Spirit Week forces students to work together and bond as a community. One of the most celebrated traditions of Spirit Week, the class dance, brings people together in a unique way. Nothing creates unity more than dancing; not camping, scuba diving, or complaining about not wanting to do the Spirit Week dance. Furthermore, students have to clean up the gym at the conclusion of the festivities. A class that cleans together stays together. Party poopers may find fault with Spirit Week, but it showers Marymount with blessings year after year.