A Blur, but a Beautiful One at That

Lucia Kim, Editor-in-Chief

We will always "Put the Fresh in Freshmen"
We will always “Put the Fresh in Freshmen”

Not to be cliché or anything, but where has the time gone…

In just a few months, will I really be attending a university on the other side of the country? I’ve picked my roommate, submitted my nonrefundable deposit of enrollment (in December, actually) and of course, updated my education on Facebook; yet, I still feel as if I’ll come back next fall to roam the halls of Butler, the same exact way I have these last 4 years.

Marymount is a safe haven, a place that may not seem like it during finals or dress uniform communities, but nonetheless, a place of comfort, companionship, and growth. Unfortunately, at times, the stress of simply, well, living, clouds the beauty of everything else.

During these times, I wish I reminded myself more often to breathe, to appreciate everything, both the good and the bad. Because now, looking back at the AP biology final that left me on the verge of tears or the endless talks of winter formal about whom to ask, I realize these are the very memories I’ll carry with me forever: things that seemed to hold the weight of life or death before are now just silly stories to smile that.

That’s what I want everyone to know; before you know it, whatever you’re struggling with will be over and even become something you may look back upon with nostalgia. So don’t get bogged down by the “small” things; yes, they’re not small at the time, but in the grand scheme of things, even if you don’t want to admit it, you know they’re just minor details.

Therefore, while it all happens—making you laugh, cry and scream—enjoy the journey as much as you can. Don’t wish for it to be over because, trust me, it’ll be over before you know it, and it’ll be impossible to slow down. The times spent complaining will be the ones you wasted, so have fun. Study hard for that math test! Go to that party on Friday!

Call me emotional and far too sappy even before I’ve graduated, but read this: “People say you don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone. Truth is, you knew what you had, you just never thought you’d lose it.”

I guess it won’t hit me that I’ve lost something great until it’s no longer mine, until I’m sitting in a lecture hall full of strangers in Pennsylvania, missing class discussions with my sisters. So if I could tell my freshman, sophomore, or junior self something, I’d say, remind yourself of the bigger picture during hard times, while always, always holding on to the small things that make you smile because quite frankly, they won’t last forever.