Sailors soar through soccer season

Marymount+Sailors+pose+with+their+plaque+honoring+their+success+this+season.+

Ms. Dawn Regan

Marymount Sailors pose with their plaque honoring their success this season.

Meghan McMahon '15, Staff Writer

Solely saying that both the Varsity and JV soccer teams have had a good season would be a great understatement: the teams were undefeated in league, leading them to gain the title of Sunshine League Champions.

JV soccer had a remarkable season; every player proved their talent, determination, and hard-working character throughout the season by beating both Marlborough and Notre Dame Academy to prevail as league champs.

Nicolette LaPorte, a Junior Varsity captain, commented on the amazing 2013-2014 season,  “I can’t believe how much I love the girls on this team! We all became so close throughout the season and everyone worked so hard to win Sunshine League. I could really see the major improvement in every single girl on the field. It was a great season!”

Furthermore, the Varsity team won league with no losses, revealing that each player put in an incredible amount of time and effort into the season. Head Coach Tony Green stated, “I’ve never doubted this team’s will to persevere and their will to always give 100% effort. We have come a long way since the beginning of the season and it was incredible to watch every player grow and become more confident on and off the field. I was very glad to be able to coach such a great group of players.”

After winning league, the team then continued on to CIF playoffs, winning the first three games, all of which were very well played, and then moving on to the semi-finals. The team unfortunately lost to South Torrance High School, but this did not mark the end of such a determined and harmonious team. Varsity also competed in the regional championship on Friday March 14th; although they lost, they played a strong, competitive game. Great job Sailors!