Some Sailors Rock the Vote in 2016 Election

Courtesy of Christine Gemperle ’17

Christine Gemperle ‘17, Staff Writer

The 2016 Presidential Election has come and gone with Donald Trump as our president elect; many of our Marymount seniors were old enough to vote for the first time this year! Turning eighteen marks one’s entrance into legal adulthood, and with it comes great privilege, responsibility, and opportunity. Having the right to vote provides a wonderful chance to get involved in politics, learn the ways of the government and electoral system, and become empowered to cast one’s vote to make a difference. I interviewed a few of our seniors on Election Day to hear their perspectives about being able to vote for the first time. Lucy Isaak, who turned eighteen fairly shortly before the election says:

“As an American citizen, I am so excited to finally be able to exercise my right to vote. When I was little, I always saw it as something everyone did, as citizens of the U.S.; however, I have learned over the years that much of the American population doesn’t vote. This sad truth upsets me greatly, so when you turn eighteen, don’t hesitate to do it yourself!”

Additionally, many value the importance of voting as a young adult because our generation has a unique perspective, with beliefs and priorities that are different from people of older generations. Moreover, young voters are especially essential to the election process because whoever we elect has the power to change how this country is run, which will, in turn, affect both our daily lives and our futures. Olivia Kiene, who turned eighteen over the summer, shared:

“I feel like I have an important duty and that my vote really does matter. I am proud to be a voter in such an important election and I feel like my voice matters and is heard when I fill out my ballot. If you have the opportunity to vote and you don’t, you can’t be mad with the outcome.”

Understandably, many members of the Marymount senior class shared their excitement in getting the chance to vote in the first presidential election with a female candidate, Hillary Clinton, who has succeeded in inspiring them as students at an all-girl high school as well as many other females around the world. According to Caroline Williams:

“It feels liberating to vote because I’m exercising my right to vote for the women who couldn’t in the past. I felt the energy in the polling place, I felt very patriotic. I even ran into Lindsey McAllister! I also feel like voting has helped me get more involved with politics. It was fun, our family made a whole morning of it, we went together.”

To that, Blaine Policella added:

“As a young woman, I feel that it’s very important to have my voice heard and represented. This election has given me the freedom to do that.”

Ultimately, participating in the 2016 Election has been a great experience for those lucky enough to be of age this year. Although I missed the cut off, I will be sure to vote in our next election, and hopefully, by the Election of 2020, nearly all current Marymount students will be eligible to cast their vote as well. Even if you are sick and tired of politics and don’t want to get involved, remember that you decide your own future and every vote counts!