The IMPACT of Self Defense

Courtesy+of+Forked+River+Gazette+

Courtesy of Forked River Gazette

Charlotte Gemperle '17, Staff Writer

What’s the best way for parents to protect their daughters from the dangerous people in this world? The answer is simple: they can ensure that their daughters can protect themselves. Through taking Marymount’s Self Defense class, people can learn how to effectively protect themselves mentally, emotionally, and physically from potential verbal or physical attacks. While this class is beneficial for all ages, it is especially important for students entering college, a vulnerable period of independence and separation from their parents. Marymount offers an excellent Self Defense Class through the company IMPACT, and after taking it, I can honestly say that I have gained more confidence and new techniques to defend myself.

Because the girls in this class learned to confront their fears and committed their new skills to muscle memory, they were focused and composed during the Self Defense Graduation; many of the parents, on the other hand, did not know what to expect. Consequently, they were not as calm when they witnessed their daughters being attacked but were unable to help them. After my dad attended my Self Defense Graduation, he reflected on his initial misconceptions about the class, recalling:

At first, I thought that it was just like a PE class, where the girls would practice punching a punching bag; no big deal. But the Graduation itself was pretty disturbing to watch because it seemed real. The girls would be grabbed from behind and lifted off their feet. It wasn’t like play-acting; they weren’t holding back.

His observations were spot-on: the attackers did not hold back during the Graduation, especially in terms of using foul language and aggressiveness. This might have initially seemed excessive to the parents, but we understood that we needed to practice fighting as hard as we could. By simulating real-life situations, we were able to develop our confidence in our ability to handle them; in the case that a real attack occurs, our simulations will have helped prevent us from being overwhelmed or flustered.

As an audience member, my dad felt helpless about not being able to come to my aid during my fight, saying that, “As a father, the thought of my daughter being attacked by a stranger is probably one of my worst nightmares. So to see that re-enacted before my eyes was surprisingly difficult to watch. It brought on an involuntary roller coaster of emotions.” Putting myself in his shoes, this reaction was completely justified. Although the muggers would not actually hurt the students, all other tactics to restrain the girls were fair game. Several girls had to fight off two or three muggers in a row without a break, and sometimes the muggers even tried to restrain the girl with duct tape. These were obstacles that we had never encountered before the Graduation. Although the Self Defense Graduation was terrifying and exhilarating because we did not know what to expect, it was the best training we could have received. A real fight would likewise be just as unpredictable.

After reflecting on the Self Defense Graduation, my dad said, “I really think that Marymount should make Self Defense part of their mandatory curriculum. All girls could use these skills, and the self-confidence that this class provides to them.” I completely agree, and I would encourage everyone, especially my fellow classmates and friends, to take this class. Although I was intimidated at first, the experience made me much more confident and empowered. I am very grateful for both the self-defense training and a safe space to share feelings and opinions. Who knows? Maybe the training from this class will save my life one day.