Cross-Country Team Runs, Sweats, and Succeeds

Jo Rielly 18 takes on a trail at a cross-country meet.

Lizzie Rielly

Jo Rielly ’18 takes on a trail at a cross-country meet.

Caroline Vein '18, Staff Writer

This year, the Marymount cross-country team is off to a great start. Often regarded as a form of brutal punishment, long-distance running makes cross-country one of the most challenging sports. Freshman Josephine Rielly comments on the physical stamina necessary for the sport, saying, “If you’re not dripping sweat you didn’t try your hardest.”

The team runs an average of four miles every day and practices six times a week! From Monday to Saturday, cross-country members run laps around school. Afterwards, they do walking stretches and different types of warm-ups across the lawn. As if that wasn’t enough, they immediately walk across the street to UCLA where they usually do various runs that are between three and four miles, with each run containing a few large hills. To top it all off, the runners trek a minimum of three miles every meet. But don’t worry; the Sailors are thankfully rewarded for all their hard work. After each practice, Lasan provides the team with snacks like cookies, fruit, and occasionally his famous “Lasan bread,” which makes the grueling runs worth it!

In addition to laborious practices, the Sailors run the courses of coming meets beforehand to better prepare themselves for what is ahead. Although this sport seems pretty tough, the Marymount cross-country team works hard everyday, and it pays off at their meets!