Students Name the Most Life Changing Books

Photo courtesy of www.usatoday.com.

Ava Adams '17, Staff Writer

Sometimes it is incredibly necessary to sit down and open up a good novel.  Reading is a great way to get your mind off all the crazy events in your life, such as tomorrow’s big test or this year’s latest drama. Reading also can be great to do before bed in order to relax and distance your thoughts. However, there are times when you read a certain book that completely alters your perception of the world.  You can carry the feelings evoked and the lessons taught by insightful books throughout your lifetime. Members of the Marymount Book Club share the most life-changing books they have ever read.

Claire Trewhitt ’16 explained that The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, was her most influential read. This book is a coming-of age novel about a freshman in high school named Charlie who is an introvert and a passionate English student. He soon befriends two seniors that teach him about himself and change the way he views the world. Trewhitt states that the novel is life changing because she feels like she “very much [relates] to Charlie, the main character, and it . . . led [her] to make a life changing decision.” Ashley Chase ’18 suggested Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. This book is about a senior in high school named Anna who is sent to boarding school in Paris and meets the “perfect” boy. But, the timing is not perfect for the both of them. It’s life changing because “it has so many lessons and values . . . [Ashley] learned the importance of friendship and finding who you are.” Gabrielle Kimbrough ’18 reflects on another remarkable book, Wonder, by R.J Palacio. This novel is about a boy named August Pullman who was born with a facial difference. Previously, this abnormality had prevented him from going to a normal school; however, he is now currently enrolled in the 5th grade, where his distinctive appearance becomes more of a challenge. This book is extraordinary because it “makes us think about how we treat people who are different.” Lastly, Katherine Wegleitner ’16 suggested the novel, Unbroken, by Laura Hillenbrand. This is an incredible story about Louis Zamperini who was an Olympic runner taken hostage by Japanese militants during World War II. Kate explains it is life changing because “it really opened [her] eyes and made [her] appreciate everyday things in life that [she] so often [takes] for granted such as food, shelter, and [her] freedom.”

Other notable book suggestions were The Diary of Anne Frank, The Infernal Devices Series, The Giver, 1000 Paper Cranes, The Fault in Our Stars, The Princess and the Goblins, Heist Society, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Why Me, Blueberries for Sal and The Outsiders.