The Most Valuable Lessons I Learned from Marymount

Irene Kim '15, Student Life Section Editor

As May 22 comes closer and closer, I’ve been feeling a variety of emotions from excitement to nervousness to reminiscence. Marymount has been formative to the individual I am today and I thought I’d share, as my good-bye article to The Anchor, the most valuable lessons I’ve learned.

1. How to speed walk. Some teachers are uncompromising when it comes to tardiness even when you’re coming from 3rd floor Butler all the way to Cantwell. With constant everyday out-of-breath physical activity, I know I’m definitely prepared to walk all over a college campus.
  2. How to climb up the stairs. Ongoing with the larger theme of exercise, the constant trek up those Butler stairs will be very helpful for my future self who will need to somehow make it to class on the 5th
  3. How to earn free food. Use great observation skills and discover the general location from where people with the donuts are coming from. Follow the small trail of crumbs and you’ve hit jackpot when you see that large box!
  4. How to get out of a locked stall. I was locked inside a bathroom stall on the 3rd floor in Butler TWICE. I survived and maybe this will help me next year in those college bathrooms. Who knows?
  5. How to have fun, even when it’s mandatory.
  6. How to move around in crowded places. The Marymount café during lunch hours is a cramped place that is not easy to maneuver. The original inspiration behind my packed lunches was simply to avoid getting in and out of the café. In college, I bet it’s no different. With crowded dining halls and floors, I’m glad I’ve got some Marymount “navigator” skills with me!
  7. How to borrow items. I’ve experienced the terror of forgetting my calculator for my math quiz next period or physics warm-ups. But, this has taught me to be a “responsible borrower” of such items. This skill will come in handy next year when I responsibly borrow my roommate’s school supplies and such.

Now there are more life skills that I’ve forgotten to mention in this article that I’ve learned from Marymount. But, beyond what Marymount has taught me, it has been an extraordinary high school experience I can’t ever imagine having at another school. From the people I’ve met whether it be students or teachers to the fantastic opportunities I’ve had during the school year or summer, the four years I’ve spent here will be remembered with great joy. Plus, I know I’ve got these lessons to help me conquer the future!