Winter Movie Review: I’ll Be Home For Christmas

Photo Courtesy of Amazon

Photo Courtesy of Amazon

Caroline Williams '17, Staff Writer

Influenced by the classic Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, I stumbled upon the Disney Channel Original Movie, I’ll Be Home For Christmas. The story centers on Jake, a young and wealthy college student in California, who is avoiding traveling home yet again for the holidays. Tempted by his father’s bribe of gifting him his possessed Porsche if he can make it home by 6pm on Christmas Eve, Jake intends on making it home to New York on time. However, his suave and cocky attitude around campus gets him into sticky situations and leaves him stranded with no identification or cash, alongside the presence of angry jocks seeking revenge. His hilarious and adventure-filled journey across country is sure to bring a smile to your face!

I enjoyed this film because of the series of plot twists and obstacles from start to finish. From a car ride through the desert with strangers to helping innocent faces he encounters along the way to embrace the holiday spirit (which Jake was in need of all along), there are many exciting events throughout the story. Jake’s character development from resenting the holidays to whole heartedly enjoying Christmas at home influences his decision to decline the offer of the car so that his father and he can continue to bond over it together for holidays to come. I watched the film with my younger sister, and she adored it. I’m sure it’ll be a tradition in our home for the holiday seasons in the future!