Let the Race Begin

Sloane Leipzig '17, Staff Writer

At Marymount, spring means Spirit Day, the musical, Marymount’s MUN conference, and the long awaited spring sports, one of which is track and field. Fortunately, track and field preseason and tryouts are finally here, and according to the team and Coach Lasan, the season is off to an incredible start.

Star runner Claire Pregler ’17 says, “I’ve really been enjoying the season so far, Lasan is the best.” Love for Coach Lasan is widespread, and according to junior Valory Banashek, his presence is one of the biggest draws to the team.

Nicki Jackson ‘17 notes the team’s appreciation for the new athletes, saying, “We have tons of freshmen and even some new sophomores and juniors this year; they all show a lot of promise and enthusiasm. It’s going to be a really good season!”

Both the track section of the team and the field athletes are rearing to go. Veteran shot-putters Naomi Smith ’17 and Bianka Gravallis ’17 are back in training and working harder than ever to prepare to bring victories home for the Sailors.

Bianka speaks to the work she and the other field athletes have been putting in, revealing, “I worked really hard this summer to improve my throwing skills and the effort displayed at preseason makes me very hopeful for the competitions to come.”

With all of the excellent new additions to the track and field team this year, and all of the enthusiasm expressed by the team, the 2016 track and field season is bound to be a success.