Softball Season in Full Swing

Kate Wegleitner ‘16, Opinion Section Editor

Courtesy of Kate W. Class of 2016(2) (1)
Courtesy of Kate Wegleitner ‘16

To some, the sweltering heat of a February day in Los Angeles might proclaim the long-anticipated approach of a still distant summer. But for the avid followers of Marymount Athletics, it announces the advent of something far more exciting: softball season!

Kaitlyn Greta, a senior on the softball team, describes her own eager sentiments about the season’s approach: “I am excited this year because we are going to lead the team as seniors. Also, since it’s at the end of the year, it’s a little bit more relaxed. It’s always a fun experience.”

The “relaxed” atmosphere Kaitlyn refers to stems much from the sport itself. During the batting portion of each inning, the majority of the team is cheering on the teammate up to bat, partaking in boisterous dugout banter, and eating sunflower seeds at leisure.

This characteristic camaraderie is one of the allures that drew new recruit Lucy Isaak ’17 to softball. When asked why she decided to join the team, she frankly responded, “I don’t know, because you guys always look so fun and like you’re having such a great time. And plus, I need exercise because exercise is good for me.”

Well said.

As a member of the team for the past four years, I can verify Lucy’s impression of our lively team as accurate. We compete at the varsity level and still maintain a certain drive and focus but never in place of team spirit. A constant stream of synchronized cheers can be heard from our dugout regardless of the score. So yes, because of our unshakeable morale, we do always have a great time.

In the next few months, be on the look out for the fifteen or so softball studs clad in navy blue cropped pants, knee high socks, and click-clacking cleats.

And if you are looking for a way to pass a slow Tuesday or Thursday afternoon, get some friends together and come out to support one of the most spirited teams on campus!