Pura Vida: Marymount’s Spring Break Trip 2014

Adventurers in Costa Rica. (Photo courtesy of travel.nationalgeographic.com)

Phoebe Balson '15, Section Editor

Within a week’s time, seven Marymount students will travel to Costa Rica along with Señora Valenzuela for an unforgettable ten days! Travelers will relax on beaches and explore nature. There are even many fun activities planned such as zip-lining through the rainforest, white water rafting, and seaside horseback riding. Clare Burgess ’16 says, “I can’t wait to go zip lining and white water rafting!” It is certainly invigorating to imagine “discovering the forests of Costa Rica by flying in the air,” as Kaitlyn Greta ’16 puts it.

During this adventure, girls will get to dip their toes in both the Caribbean and the Pacific. How cool is that? And of course, the weather will be amazing: under the warm Costa Rican sun, the average temperature in April is 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Talk about ideal conditions for the beach!

This trip is perfect for the Marymount girl looking for an adventure. Costa Rica is home to beautiful rainforests teeming with life. This means amazing hiking opportunities and seeing a lot of beautiful flora and fauna.

Additionally, as any Marymount trip should, this one will also provide plenty of chances to shop! Julia Burgess ’16 says, “I’m most excited about the shopping and the sites.” You can be sure that each girl will return with plenty of souvenirs!

Finally, this trip will allow Marymount sailors to discover a completely new culture. Olivia Lipari ’16 asserts, “I’m excited for the trip because I know it will allow me to experience so many unique opportunities in a short amount of time that some people won’t experience in their entire lives. I’m excited to learn about a new culture!” Olivia, along with the other adventurers, will certainly learn about Costa Rica’s culture through the people, the atmosphere, and without a doubt, the food.

Here are some fun facts you probably didn’t know about Costa Rica:

1. Costa Rica is slightly smaller than Lake Michigan.

2. Costa Rica is home to 800 miles of coastline.

3. It only takes up .03% of the planet’s surface, but holds 5% of its biodiversity.

4. Costa Rica has a female president named Laura Chinchilla.

5. “Pura vida” is the national saying, which means “pure life,” a sunny expression used as a greeting, a goodbye, or a response to, “How are you?”

Won’t be embarking on a trip to Costa Rica this year? Still have a bad case of wanderlust? Check out Haiku for information on next year’s trips to London, Paris, and Madrid!

Facts from:

http://www.normschriever.com/2/post/2013/03/some-fun-and-crazy-facts-about-costa-rica.html