Students Jazz It Up at Jazz Café

Marymount+students+dance+at+the+Jazz+Cafe.+

Genna Whittell '17

Marymount students dance at the Jazz Cafe.

Genna Whittell '17, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, February 11th, Marymount students from all performing arts classes blew the roof off of Cantwell Hall during the Jazz Café.

The choir rocked the house, singing the classic jazz song “The Girl From Ipanema” accompanied by the orchestra, in addition to the new and empowering hit song “ Let it Go” from Disney’s “Frozen,” the immensely hopeful and fun “Our Time” from the popular Broadway musical “Merrily We Roll Along,” featuring soloists Jessenia Zelaya ’15 and Sumi Hwang ’15, and the outrageously entertaining Fun. pop song “Some Nights,” featuring solos from Laila Rodriques ’15, Genna Whittell ’17 and Norani Abilo ’16. In addition to the outstanding ensemble performances, the choir also offered up three amazing solo performances by Kristen Lee ’14, who sang the upbeat and fun “Showstopper,” Ariel Adelman ’15, who sang the melancholy and graceful ballad “Cry Me a River,” originally performed by Ella Fitzgerald, and Tess Coleman ’17, who sang the sorrowful and poetic “Turning Tables” by Adele. All three were phenomenal and wowed the audience.

The orchestra jammed out two pieces alone — the popular jazz song “Take Five” and the bittersweet romantic ballad “My Funny Valentine”— in addition to accompanying the choir in “The Girl from Ipanema,” “Let It Go,” and “Some Nights.” On top of the ensemble performances, orchestra members Summer Plair ’15 and Lucy Liljegren ’16 performed the popular and gorgeous song “The Man Who Can’t Be Moved” by The Script, blowing away everyone in the audience.

On top of orchestra and choir performances, the dance classes took the breath of every audience member away with their four fantastic sets: the cute and romantic “She Loves Me,” the sorrowful and elegant “Someone Like You,” the energetic and fun tap number “Forget About the Boy,” as well as “Phoebe’s Dance,” a beautiful solo number performed by Phoebe Balson ’15.

The acting classes performed three hilarious Valentine’s Day-themed scenes, including “Valentine Messenger,” “Valentine’s Scenes at a Restaurant,” and “3 Monologues and 1 Dialogue.” “Valentine Messenger” is a cute and funny skit revolving around a hired Valentine’s Day messenger and the mess that is made when he knocks on the wrong front door. “Valentine’s Scenes at a Restaurant” is a witty and hilarious combination of scenes narrated by a single waitress who spends her “Singles’ Awareness Day” poking fun at the ridiculous couples she sees coming in and out of her work place, including a clueless teenage couple, a man and a woman both arguing for dominance in their relationship, and a man desperately trying to avoid embarrassment when he realizes that his girlfriend does not, in fact, want to be proposed to on Valentine’s Day. All three scenes were laugh-out-loud funny and especially impressed everyone as it was revealed that the students wrote them themselves!

Overall, Jazz Café was a wildly fun experience that left the audience feeling impressed and satisfied, while the participants seemed overjoyed and proud. Bravo to everyone in Jazz Café, and all the participants hope everyone gets the chance to attend or participate next year!