A Peek into AP Studio Art Portfolios

Courtesy of AP Studio Art

Courtesy of AP Studio Art

Ava Adams ‘17, Health & Leisure Section Editor

On May 5th, the 9 students in the AP Studio Art class rushed to add final touches on their work to send to the College Board. Students felt an intense feeling of relief after their twelve pieces concentrated around the same theme were finally finished. Most students began these series over summer break. Though their works were shown in the recent Arts festival, many students did not get to show their completely finished or favorite pieces. Hopefully, these works inspire you to be more creative or try to take this class!

Adrienne Jeong

“For my concentration, I created artworks that express the fears and vulnerability one experiences in childhood. Growing up I loved illustrated children’s books and their ability to tell the whole story through images. I tried to achieve this by creating a character for each of my artworks and placing them in a dreamlike and sometimes nightmarish environment. The characters in my concentration pieces are primarily young girls because I wanted to reflect myself in the artworks as well.”

Courtesy of AP Studio Art
Courtesy of AP Studio Art
Courtesy of AP Studio Art
Courtesy of AP Studio Art

Ava Adams

“The central idea of my concentration is to depict places in the world where I have visited, which have both inspired and had a significant impact on my life. I chose this theme because I believe that I am someone who is shaped by the elements around me, places and people in particular. I used pastel pencil and embroidery thread to complete each work with color and intimacy.”

Courtesy of AP Studio Art
Courtesy of AP Studio Art
Courtesy of AP Studio Art
Courtesy of AP Studio Art
Courtesy of AP Studio Art

Erica Lydon

“The central idea for my concentration was to bring humor and seriousness together in order to portray the different fears of an 18-year-old. I chose an animated multiple media approach to portray this theme; the supplies I used included markers, pen and ink, paint, paper towels, and bristol board. I chose to use an animated approach in order to add humor while still providing different graphics to draw the idea of a life-altering fear back into the piece.”

Courtesy of AP Studio Art
Courtesy of AP Studio Art
Courtesy of AP Studio Art

Izzy Cornwall  

“I often notice how removed we are from the most basic aspects of our lives; the simple, necessary things have lost their umph. Through my concentration, I aim to explore the innate beauty embedded in the functionality of these things that work so hard for us but often remain unnoticed.  I chose to use charcoal, one of the most simple and organic substances, as my medium because I wanted to keep the composition as basic as possible, while still being able to create a strong image.”

Courtesy of AP Studio Art
Courtesy of AP Studio Art
Courtesy of AP Studio Art

Krystina Maruszko

The central idea of my concentration is the representations of female personas through color and graphic design. Inspired by the brightness and expression seen in video games and animation, I strove to recreate the different personalities I’ve seen throughout my life. I chose to use colored pencils with a restricted color palette in order to fully capture the vividness of color and contrast within the design.”

Courtesy of AP Studio Art
Courtesy of AP Studio Art
Courtesy of AP Studio Art
Courtesy of AP Studio Art

Mirna Kamel

“My concentration focuses on the beauty of a variety of landscapes and how they relate to the meaning of verses of the Quran (the holy Muslim book). During the process of creation, I wanted to show Islam through beautiful Middle Eastern “windows” which I laser-cut from watercolor paper to celebrate and visually contradict the false hatred and misunderstandings related to the Muslim religion in our world today. “

Courtesy of AP Studio Art
Courtesy of AP Studio Art
Courtesy of AP Studio Art

Rachel Liao

My concentration centers around emotion and expression. In our society, people often forget to express their emotions. In my work, I wish to visually describe and compose in space the type and intensity of human emotions. By capturing facial expressions in color in addition to typographic design elements, I hope to inspire people to celebrate their emotions as a way to express themselves and to communicate honestly within the ever-changing world we live.”

Courtesy of AP Studio Art
Courtesy of AP Studio Art
Courtesy of AP Studio Art
Courtesy of AP Studio Art

Sydney Rosenberg

“In my concentration, I wanted to record my journey through childhood to the age of seventeen, like one would in an old scrapbook, but with a modern twist. I searched through old family photos of me and used old and new recycled materials to give my work history and authenticity.”

Courtesy of AP Studio Art
Courtesy of AP Studio Art

Nina Cuccinello

Courtesy of AP Studio Art
Courtesy of AP Studio Art
Courtesy of AP Studio Art
Courtesy of AP Studio Art