Dedicated MHS Artists and Their Practices

Courtesy of The Paw Print News

Chae Kim’19, Staff Writer

At Marymount, there are over sixteen art courses offered to the students, ranging from Visual Arts I to AP Art History. Although many Marymount artists are featured each week during Community, there are also those whose talents are yet to be publicized. I interviewed a couple of dedicated Marymount artists to have a better understanding of what inspires their artwork and how they develop their own style of painting or photography.

Malia Campain ‘20

Malia is currently a sophomore and has been interested in the field of photography for three years. As a photographer, she is most inspired by the works of Angelo Sgambati, a photographer based in Sydney, Australia, and is captivated by his clean and minimalistic style. However, Malia is influenced not only by photography but also by the fashion industry. Virgil Abloh, the creative designer of the brand “Off-White,” is another influential figure in her work. Interested in the connection between photography and fashion, Malia plans on becoming a director and photographer in the future.

What does Art mean to you? “Art to me is not simply defined by a definition but by a range of emotions. It’s expressive, it’s creative, it’s whatever you make it to be. For me, it’s taking pictures and allowing my creativity and emotions to take over the process.”

Jillian Neuner ‘19

Jillian is a junior who has been a dedicated member of the Marymount Visual Arts Department ever since her freshman year. Though Jillian’s favorite medium is pencil, her courses at Marymount have exposed her to the diverse range art techniques available. Her main inspiration is Norman Rockwell, a 20th- century American painter and illustrator. Jillian is attracted to the continuous theme of color that is portrayed throughout his work, varying from vivid, eccentric colors to cooler tones, and strives to mimic his attention to realism. She plans to continue drawing in the future, as it gives her a feeling of tranquility, and provides an escape from the stress of school.

What does Art mean to you? “For me, art has always served as a means of channeling my emotions and thoughts into a physical description. I appreciate the way that art allows me to express an idea that I cannot clearly verbalize; rather, I am able to communicate feelings or impressions through color, light, brushstrokes, and shading.”

Anna Marguleas ‘19

Anna is a junior who has expressed interest in art ever since she was a young girl. When she was seven years old, she saved up her money to buy her very own camera and would walk around the neighborhood to take photos. She began to seriously take interest in the field of photography when she took Photography B, a course that places heavy emphasis on Photoshop. She is inspired the most by Alex Prager, a Los Angeles based photographer and filmmaker. Prager attempts to personify inanimate objects, as well as feelings, in order to make them appear warped in comparison to reality. Due to her strong interest in the field, Anna will continue taking photos in the future because it proves to be a great outlet for capturing emotions within a single frame.

What does Art mean to you? “To me, photography means connecting people. Something I really enjoy about photography is the way it can influence its audience to feel certain things without having any real context behind the photo. I like to think of photography as a way to shed light on pressing topics in a way that really resonates with people.”

Haley Worrell ‘18

Haley is a senior and has been a dedicated member of the Marymount Arts Department for four years. However, her interest in the arts goes way back to when she could first pick up a crayon.  Her main inspiration lies in the field of film photography and renowned painters like Maxfield Parrish and Salvador Dali. She is intrigued by their masterful use of surrealism, allowing the viewer to perceive the work from a different perspective. Art plays a huge role in Haley’s life as it acts as a stress reliever and a collection of memories that she can look back on in the future.

What does Art mean to you? “Art means taking time to focus and creating something to show my view of the world and express my thoughts and feelings. It is a huge part of who I am, and I think it is beautiful to see every artist’s unique style because it says a lot about who they are.”