Staff Diary: What We Are Reading

Gabriela Holian ‘20, Staff Writer

Courtesy of Amazon

Mr. Cooperman is currently reading and enjoying Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson. This nonfiction book was only published last year but is a series of essays that appeared in the Natural History magazine. Mr. Cooperman loves the mysterious concepts of the universe as well as all the earthly phenomenons that are included. He definitely recommends this book to anyone who is curious about the universe, physics, or just wants to read an amazing, brilliant nonfiction book!

Courtesy of Amazon

Ms. Constantine, the new Orchestra teacher, recently read The Music Lesson: A Spiritual Search For Growth Through Music by Victor Wooten. This is an interesting autobiography with components of fiction which expands the reader’s consciousness and challenges the reader to think bigger. Ms. Constantine recommends this magical and enlightening book to anyone interested in how music influences every aspect of reality.

Courtesy of Amazon

As a father, Mr. Baker reads How Toddlers Thrive by Tovah P. Klein. This parenting book explains what parents can do to encourage their toddlers to have success in their lives. Being a toddler is a critical time of growth and experiences in a child’s life, and Mr. Baker finds that this book has really helped him and given him advice on how to deal with kids.

Courtesy of Amazon

Ms. Brady has recently read Educated by Tara Westover. This is a fantastic memoir that recounts the life of a girl raised by a fanatically religious family in rural Idaho. Until the age of seventeen, she never attends any school; her “education” consists of working in the scrap heap with her father and brothers, often coming dangerously close to death as a result of the accidents, fires and other harrowing events that seem to plague her on a daily basis. Through pure will and determination, and with the help of friends and one of her brothers, Tara manages to apply to BYU, graduate from college, and ultimately receive her Ph.D. from Cambridge. Ms. Brady recommends Educated, for it is a page-turner that you won’t want to put down until you find out how Tara manages to beat the odds of her upbringing.