The Marymount Players Present: A Christmas Carol

Julia Gong, Arts and Entertainment Section Editor

No Christmas spirit. 3 Ghosts. A Christmas miracle. The Marymount Players’ production of A Christmas Carol reveals it all. The play was an adaptation of the classic novella A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. The Marymount Players have worked tirelessly this entire semester to produce a wonderful show. Showings were on Friday 12/2, Saturday 12/3, and Sunday 12/4. I was lucky enough to get tickets to Friday’s sold-out show. And let me tell you, it was an absolutely memorable performance.

The entire cast for A Christmas Carol comes on stage. Image taken by Julia G.

The play traces the life of Ebenezer Scrooge (played by the talented Barrett E. ’24), who hates Christmas and is rude to others. Scrooge refuses to have dinner with his nephew Fred and turns away people who ask him for money.

The Ghost of Christmas Present, Gaby A. ’23, shows Scrooge, Barrett E. ’24, the Cratchitt family dinner. Image taken by Julia G.

Over the course of the play, three ghosts visit him: the Ghost of Christmas Past, the Ghost of Christmas Present, and the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come. Each of the ghosts reveals a glimpse into Scrooge’s life. The Ghost of Christmas Past, played by Emma B. ’23, begins to show Scrooge his lonely childhood at boarding school and his relationship with his sister Fan. The Ghost of Christmas Present, played by Gaby A. ’23, then shows Scrooge Bob Cratchit’s family dinner and tells him that Tiny Tim, Cratchit’s youngest son, will die unless their situation changes. Scrooge then sees children named Ignorance and Want, who mock Scrouge’s selfishness. Finally, the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come shows Scrooge Christmas in the future, where Scrooge sees Cratchit’s family mourning the death of Tiny Tim. Then the ghost takes Scrooge to his own grave, which is neglected. Seeing how lonely he is, Scrooge then begs to change his ways.

At the end of the play, Scrooge walks up a completely changed man. He greets people on the streets, gives them money, and buys a large turkey to anonymously send to the Cratchit family. Treating all with kindness, Scrooge shows the importance of generosity and compassion towards others. 

Co-student directors and co-stage managers Sarah S. ’23 and Katie B. ’23 and assistant stage manager Katherine H. ’24 during intermission. Image taken by Julia G.

Congratulations to all the Marymount Players, from the actresses to the stage crew, for the outstanding performance! The overarching message of A Christmas Carol was very heartwarming, and I can’t wait to see what the Marymount Players will bring next semester for the Spring musical, Mamma Mia! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays — and like the changed Ebenezer Scrooge, remember to stay kind!