Best Movies to Watch Over the Summer

Nadia Shammaie, Staff Writer

Summer is finally here!! It’ll be filled with tons of fun: amazing family vacations, enriching SAILL internship experiences, and most importantly, lots and lots of time to binge-watch good movies. With all that time and all the movies you could possibly select from, it can truly be overwhelming deciding what to watch. So, here is a guide for summer movie-goers.

Setting the tone for summer is key. The way to do that is by kicking off the end of school with a lighthearted and fun watch, Dazed and Confused. The movie takes viewers on a journey of the last day of school for a group of teens in 1970s Austin, Texas. The movie focuses on the storylines of incoming freshman Mitch Kramer, and high school junior and star of the football team, Randall “Pink” Floyd. The movie follows the boys and their groups of friends as well as love interests through a night of partying and shaninigans. Dazed and Confused is perfect for those looking for a lighthearted and amusing story concluding with a heartfelt message.

Dazed and Confused. Image from Uniquely Aligned Magazine.
Call Me By Your Name movie cover. Image from IMBD.

Although fun is important, what is summer without intense romance? For any hopeless romantics looking for a movie to tug on their heart strings, Call Me By Your Name is the perfect watch. This movie follows the love story of 17-year-old Elio Perlman and 25-year-old Oliver – a doctoral student interning with Elio’s father. This movie is an adaptation of André Aciman’s novel, set in 1983 Northern Italy. Ultimately, the story ends with the summer coming to a close and Elio and Oliver having to say goodbye, possibly forever. This is a beautiful story of romance and discovery of sexual identity – great for everyone looking for a passionate yet heartbreaking love story.

If you’ve had enough of the heartrending romance, Grease is the perfect feelgood movie for you. Although most people have already seen the movie, it’s a classic you can always come back to. And if you haven’t seen it…well what are you doing? This 1950s set movie is the perfect combination of singing, dancing, and a happy-ending romance. The soundtrack is one of my favorites! Overall, Grease is a great watch and captures the two main themes of summer, fun and love.

Grease. Image from IMBD.

Have a great summer Sailors! Work hard, but don’t forget to sit back, relax, and enjoy your time off school. These movies can be a great way to start your process of rejuvenation for the next school year!