My Recruitment Experience

Courtesy of Kendall Fisher ’20

Kendall Fisher '20, Staff Writer

From the ages of ten to fifteen, I played both competitive club and school volleyball which required many hours of dedication and commitment. I never would have guessed that by my senior year of high school, I would be committed to row Division 1 at the University of Notre Dame. After my freshman year, I lost my love for volleyball. I decided to quit and try something new; therefore, I began rowing. Like most first-year rowers, I had no idea what I was doing, and I wasn’t very good. Even when I was in my second year, I would laugh when people asked me if I wanted to row in college, because just the thought of that was completely unrealistic and foreign to me. I love rowing because it challenges me in a way nothing else does: it brings structure into my life, and I love the community; there was never a point where I thought I needed to keep rowing in order to get into college. Nonetheless, halfway through my junior year, my dad encouraged me to email many different universities only “to see what would happen.” Many schools didn’t respond, or they simply told me I wasn’t up to par with their athletic standards. Despite the defeat I felt, I figured I would keep trying; therefore, I updated them multiple times throughout the spring and summer, remaining positive and confident in my emails and calls. I started working really hard, both in and outside of practice, making drastic improvements. Once fall arrived, I had been promoted to one of the best seats in the top boat. Even so, I was still unsure if I wanted to row in college, or if that opportunity would present itself. When I competed in the Head of the Charles Regatta in Boston, everything changed. I conversed with the Notre Dame coach to discuss my races and share what was happening in my life. She revealed that she had a spot for me on her team and would love to have me row during the upcoming school year. I called my parents right away and told them that I already knew I wanted to accept the offer. Tears welled up in my eyes and I couldn’t stop smiling all day. I actually jumped up and down like a five-year-old. It was a dream come true. I never, ever believed this would happen, and I still can’t comprehend how lucky I am to have such a successful outcome. My advice to anyone remotely thinking about college recruitment is to maintain an open mind, keep your options open, and make sure you’re playing the sport for the right reasons. I am beyond excited to step on Notre Dame’s campus next fall with my future teammates.