Dodgers Win the World Series

Dodger players swarm the field celebrating their victory over the Tampa Bay Rays in the final game of the World Series. Photo Courtesy of the Los Angeles Times.

Grace Staver '21, Student Life Section Editor, Staff Writer

Amidst these trying times, Los Angeles finally managed a victory – the Dodgers won their seventh World Series title. 

This year’s Major League Baseball season looked extremely different. First, the MLB season was shortened due to the pandemic. Under normal circumstances, the season would have started at the end of March, but this year it began on July 23rd. This 60-game season (typically 162 games) featured matchups between teams based on their geographic location. Normally, the Dodgers would play every national league team – both home and away – but instead, they played teams such as Seattle and Oakland. 

The Dodgers completed the season with the best record in the major leagues of 43-17. Because of their excellent performance, they earned the number one seed and home field in the first round of the playoffs. They started the playoffs by sweeping the Milwaukee Brewers 2 games to 0 in a best of 3 matchup. During the next round, they faced off against the San Diego Padres in a best of seven series in Arlington Texas, home of the Texas Rangers. The San Diego Padres had lost to the St. Louis Cardinals and came into the division series with a lot of momentum. Eventually, the Dodgers beat the Padres 4-1, to advance to the National League Championship Series against the Atlanta Braves. After four games in this best of seven series, the Dodgers found themselves down 3-1. Ultimately, they were able to turn the tide in their favor; they took it to game seven, beat the Braves, and advanced to their third World Series in the last four years. 

The Dodgers were the home team in Arlington Texas against the young Tampa Bay Rays. The Dodgers managed to win three of the first four games and were within reach of their first World Series championship since 1988. Tampa Bay took game five, to bring the series 3-2 with the Dodgers in the lead. In game six, the Rays held an early lead, but the Dodgers rallied and won their seventh world championship with a score of 3-1. Corey Seager was named the World Series MVP, and Los Angeles rejoiced in celebration. The Dodgers currently sit on top of the Baseball world.