Winter Sport Athlete Interviews

The winter athletic season has just begun, and many Marymount student-athletes are hard at work. Here, three sailors share their perspectives on being student athletes. 

Keira Lavelle, Staff Writer

Sophia Baumann, a junior, is playing water polo for her third year. 

Q: What is your favorite part of your sport? You can talk about your Marymount team or your sport in general.

A: The favorite part about playing water polo at Marymount is practice. Practicing water polo is so much more fun when you can laugh and joke with each other. Every day I look forward to scrimmaging, running drills, playing games, doing laps, and working out in the weight room with my teammates.

Q: How do you manage going to practice or games daily with your other extracurriculars and schoolwork?

A: Balancing schoolwork with waterpolo is a lot, but having less time to do my work after practices or games helps motivate me to not procrastinate as much. After practices or games, I go home and take a nap for an hour then get up and get to my schoolwork, and it works!

Q: What advice do you have for Marymount students about joining your particular sport or just a Marymount club in general?

A: I really encourage you to join a sport at Marymount because it is so helpful to make friendships and stay active. It has been such a big part of improving my mental health. After a long day of school, it is so fun and relaxing to see all my friends at water polo practice. Water Polo especially is a sport that is great for beginners. I had never played water polo before Marymount, and the coaches have helped me so much to become an amazing player. It is such a tight, sweet group of girls on the team, and overall, it is an amazing sport for team bonding and strength.

Jillian Dombrowski, a sophomore, is playing soccer. 

A: My favorite part of Soccer is after I or anyone on my team scores a goal. The way that we all come together to celebrate is the most bonding and rewarding thing about the game.

A: Juggling both is very hard but I make sure not to procrastinate and I try to get my homework done the night it was assigned. I also make sure to meet with my teachers during school hours if I have any questions on the material.

A: I would say try to manage your time and do not procrastinate. In the end, if you don’t do your work, you will be staying up till 3AM just trying to finish chemistry. I would also say try to make the best out of practices and games because in the end they will make you better and the memories you make will last a lifetime.

Zoe Anaya, a sophomore, plays basketball. 

A: My favorite part of basketball is that the sport is heavily based in teamwork. We have to create plans to try to outsmart the other team, and it’s super fun that we all have our own roles in order to make each play work. I love being with my teammates whether that be in the van on the way to games or on the court.

A: As someone who partakes in a multitude of extracurriculars, I have to plan everything out for the week on my calendar before Monday. I try to get as much work done as possible during my free period, so I don’t have to stay up all night trying to get everything done. In terms of having enough energy to get through the day, I pack a lot of snacks to eat throughout the day, so I can play to my full potential in basketball and be productive afterwards.

A: The best advice I can give to Marymount students about joining sports or clubs in general is to try anything you have even the slightest bit of interest for. I have very little experience in playing basketball, and there’s no way I’d be playing if I didn’t go out and give it a shot. I thought it would be fun to give it a try, and right now, I’m having a blast!