Winter Sports Overview

Julia Gong, Athletics Section Editor

The winter sports season has begun as the Sailors move into the second half of the semester! They are competing in 3 different sports: Basketball, Soccer, and Water Polo.

The varsity basketball team competes at their third day of the San Marino tournament. Image courtesy of Marymount Athletics.

Basketball

The basketball team welcomes a new head coach: Coach Copado! Coach Copado is also the founder and head coach for the girls’ basketball program LA Silver Stars in the Pacific Palisades. The basketball team works extremely hard at each and every practice. They have played against Notre Dame Academy, Geffen Academy, and Louisville High school.This past week the varsity basketball team faced tough matchups in the San Marino tournament and they remained persistent throughout the games. Amanda Brown ’25 was named athlete of the week, for she always has a great attitude on and off the court. She is a freshman on the varsity team, and she shows amazing leadership qualities! Go Amanda!

Soccer

The varsity and junior varsity soccer teams work hard in every practice, and their training has paid off! The varsity team recently played against Brentwood School and they defeated the Brentwood Eagles 7-2! The junior varsity team fell short to Beverly Hills High School the first time they played them, but their hard work allowed them to clinch a 2-0 win the second time they faced Beverly Hills High School. We are so proud of both the soccer teams! This week the varsity team will be competing in the South Torrance Tournament. Good luck Sailors!

The varsity soccer team celebrates their win against Brentwood! Image Courtesy of Marymount High School.

Water Polo

The water polo team also welcomes a new head coach: Coach Marissa! Coach Marissa has played water polo for over 10 years and she is excited to work with the Sailors! Both the varsity and junior varsity water polo teams work hard everyday as they train in the pool and the weight room. In the first game of the season the Sailors played with a tough defense, but fell short the the Brentwood Eagles with a score of 6-7. The Sailors will continue to show their strong defense as they travel to the Ayala Water Polo Tournament this weekend. Coach Marissa also recognizes Mary Magovern ’25 for her hard work and improvement this season. Mary is a dependable player and always comes to practice with a strong work ethnic. Go Mary!

The water polo team does passing drills before they practice shooting. Image courtesy of Marymount Athletics.

The winter season will continue into February next year, and we can’t wait to see all the amazing work the Sailors have put in! Go Sailors!