HOMLA Holiday

Noel Ermer '19, Senior Photo Editor

Courtesy of Noel Ermer ’19

What holiday do you celebrate and what is your favorite tradition?

I celebrate Christmas.

My favorite tradition is making tamales with my family on Christmas Eve. We sit around the kitchen table and form a sort of assembly line where each person completes one of the steps in making the tamale. For me, this tradition is a way of remaining connected to my Mexican heritage while creating special memories with my family.

Courtesy of Noel Ermer ’19

What is your favorite Christmas movie and why?

I like A Christmas Story because my mom’s side of the family always plays it on Christmas Eve. We never really watch the movie though; it’s just always playing my grandparent’s family room. But, I do watch it at some point every Christmas season because I love the time era it is in, and I find the family very amusing.

Courtesy of Noel Ermer ’19

Why did you stop believing in Santa?

When I was in the kindergarten, we made holiday presents in art class to give to our parents or whoever we wanted. I decided to make a present for Santa. A year later, I found that Santa’s present was in my parent’s closet.  This turned my world upside down. I literally could not comprehend what I had just discovered, but I soon came to the terrible conclusion that Santa was not real. I went to school the next day looking like the saddest and emptiest 7 year old you have ever seen. I didn’t want to ruin Christmas for my other friends, so I sought the only kid who could tell me the truth: the Jewish kid in our class. I went up to him during recess and asked him to give it to me straight. He told me that Santa was not real and that his parents had told him to keep it a secret from the other kids because if they found out, their parents would stop giving them presents from “Santa.”

Courtesy of Noel Ermer ’19

What is your favorite Christmas memory?

My favorite Christmas memory is any time when my whole family can be together. My brothers are 9 and 10 years older than me, so they went to college when I was fairly young. Sometimes they couldn’t spend a holiday with us due to not being able to fly back on a short notice. Eventually, Christmas and the holidays became very much less about superficial material items, but rather about substantial family unity.