How to Navigate LA Without a Car

Courtesy+of+Discover+Los+Angeles+
Courtesy of Discover Los Angeles

Courtesy of Discover Los Angeles

Courtesy of Discover Los Angeles

Alex Kroner '19, Staff Writer

Los Angeles is a large city full of exciting restaurants, museums, nature, and more. It can be frustrating, aspiring to experience all these sites, but feeling like you have no way of getting there. Whether you don’t have your license or just don’t want to waste time sitting in traffic, here are a few fun and easy ways to navigate LA without a car.

Metro

The metro has a range routes across all of LA. Downtown, Santa Monica, to Hollywood, Manhattan Beach, and in between, the metro covers nearly everywhere. A one-way ticket costs $1.75 and each train leaves seven minutes apart, so you won’t be waiting too long in between. Despite public transportation’s notorious aura for its uncleanliness, the metro is overall sanitary, beats traffic, and inexpensive.

Biking

Biking through LA is a great way of getting exercising, helping the environment, and discovering new places that a car may not be able to reach. Don’t own a bike? There are bike rental stores and bike racks with rentals all over.

Bird

Bird is an up and coming electric scooter company that has just recently added hundreds of scooters to popular areas around LA. The process for accessing a scooter is simple: download the app and look on the map for a scooter near you. Then scan the barcode, press the button and ride wherever you desire for 15 cents per minute. Bird’s goal is to provide a fun, safe, efficient, and environmentally safe transportation system.

Walking

Whether it’s walking with a destination or just seeing where your feet take you, walking is the perfect transportation for just observing the city and going at your own pace. Although it is the slowest out of the other options provided, it is also free of cost and allows for exercise and a calming way of examining the world from a different perspective. Walking may not take you far, but it can allow you to discover your local area more in-depth.