Bittersweet Beginnings

Courtesy of Top Tier Admissions

Christina Fazio ‘18, Features Section Editor

To the Class of 2022,

4 years, 1,460 days, 35,040 hours, 2,102,400 minutes. Looking at these numbers now, it may seem like an unfathomable amount of time, and, for a while, I thought that to be true as well. However, the time you spend at Marymount may be the greatest, most challenging, and shortest that you may experience in this lifetime.

Not long ago, I was in your place, an eighth-grader prepared, yet tentative, to venture out to what high school had to offer. With each passing year, there were experiences I cherished; however, at times moments of regret for what I wished I had known or been told early on.

As you begin this journey, take these pieces of advice with a grain of salt, as everyone’s high school experience is different and unique, but here is what I’ve learned:

HIGH SCHOOL ISN’T ACCURATELY REPRESENTED IN FILMS AND TV

The most important lesson every single senior is able to tell you would be that the shows and movies you watch don’t portray the realities of high school. It is fairly easy to fall victim to stereotypes such as the Troy and Gabriella romantic relationship, but, in reality, focusing too hard on what high school is “supposed to be” can limit you to the joys and opportunities you build for yourself within these four years.

DON’T BE AFRAID TO BE YOURSELF & SOCIALIZE

Although cliche, as freshmen entering a new school many of your fellow classmates will have the same worries of making friends, and trying to find a group of people who share their passions. My one piece of advice is: do not change to fit into a certain type of group; otherwise, you will very well miss out on people who can turn friendships into family. Be unapologetically yourself and you will find people who admire that and do the same.

TAKE RISKS

I guarantee you that the person you are at this moment in time will completely evolve over the next four years. High school is the time to truly discover yourself and find your voice. Whether it’s speaking out for causes you are passionate about, running for student government, or even talking to people you normally wouldn’t, take the risk and you won’t be disappointed. Even if you don’t receive your desired result, you will have tackled something inside thought to be impossible and find yourself in the process.

REMEMBER: TEACHERS ARE PEOPLE TOO !!

Having a whole new set of teachers who don’t know you may seem intimidating, and at times we as students can easily forget to see them past the role of being educators. However, the one thing I’ve learned specifically about the Marymount Faculty is that they are a set of loving, intelligent, funny, goofballs who laugh at the same jokes are passionate about the same things and want to help you thrive in your time at high school. Don’t get me wrong, respecting your teachers is incredibly important because they have the knowledge they wish to instill in you, but at the same time don’t fear them. Always ask questions and be open because they will surprise you more than you think.

CHALLENGE YOURSELF, ALWAYS

Marymount provides incredible classes, some that I might add aren’t taught at most high schools, so take advantage of this. Don’t close your mind because you’re scared of the rigorous manner. Your teachers are there to help and the most important thing is to step out of your comfort zone so that you can learn new things and in the process can learn more about yourself and marvel at what you’re capable of.

SCHOOL IS IMPORTANT, BUT IT IS NOT EVERYTHING

As students, it is fairly easy to stress about exams, the number of honors and AP’s you’re taking, or even receiving an award. Although it is incredibly important to work hard at school, at the end of the day it’s just an exam, just a class, which is such a small portion of your life. In addition, don’t worry too hard about the number of advanced classes you need to take because you will all go to college if that is what you choose, but the important part is that you enjoy the journey there. For example, only take advanced classes if you’re interested: say you detest math, then don’t take an AP Calculus class just because you qualify. Enjoy these four years, rather than spend every waking minute worrying.

LASTLY… DON’T WAIT UNTIL THE END

Although there are things I regret, one of the biggest is waiting until my senior year to start friendships with people who weren’t in my regular friend group. Those relationships can be some of the most meaningful and heartfelt yet. Don’t limit yourself to make memories and get to know people or you will have regrets.

Overall, these four years go by fast and there is no way of slowing it down or changing the past but rather acknowledge that you only have four years and make the most out of each and every day. Teachers can turn into friends, and friends turn into family, and the beauty of that is you all are at the beginning and can craft the experience you desire.

As a senior from the class of 2018, by the time you get this, we will be gone and we too will be a class of 2022. As we walk away and leave our mark, there will be stories you hear about this class – mostly memorable – but the one thing to take away is that you too have something to offer not just to Marymount High School, but the world itself. These are the times in our lives for bittersweet beginnings and to take chances before you finish this chapter of life.

Much Love,

Christina Fazio ‘18, Features Section Editor (2017-2018)