Profile on New Teachers

Reilly Brumbach '20, Staff Writer

This year, Marymount welcomed several new members to our wonderful staff, including Ms. Hubbell, Ms. Yang, and Dr. Baylor! We interviewed these new teachers to help you get to know them!

Courtesy of Reilly Brumbach ’20

Ms. Hubbell:

How long have you been teaching?

10 years.

Where are you from?

I grew up in Encino, CA and I currently live in Playa del Rey.

What interests you about your subject?

I love the way literature paints the human experience in some really beautiful and sometimes painful ways. I think it is a really important way that we, as individuals, can think about and shape our own lives.

What is your favorite movie and why?

I’m obsessed with Downton Abbey because I love how it depicts the different gender roles and social conventions of a bygone era.

What is the best advice you have ever received?

My dad used to always tell me a quote by Teilhard De Chardin that said, “Above all, trust in the slow work of God.” It is about how life flows and we sometimes have joy and pain, and what we want is for things to be solved and for our wishes to come true but sometimes we need to trust in the process of time.

Courtesy of Reilly Brumbach ’20

Ms. Yang:

How long have you been teaching?

8 years.

Where are you from?

Honolulu, Oahu, HI.

What interests you about your subject?

With math, most of the time there is just one answer to everything, but I am seeing that students see a lot of different solutions and I enjoy listening to them and seeing how they speak about the problem and interpret it.

What is your favorite movie and why?

A movie called Totoro which was my favorite movie as a kid. I watched it in Japanese and now have seen it in English too.

Travel. When you’re in college, travel because I didn’t, but I have learned over the years that you should.

Courtesy of Reilly Brumbach ’20

Dr. Baylor:

How long have you been teaching?

9 years. I taught as a teaching assistant at UCLA for 4 years and as a college professor for 5 years at Wellesley College, Holy Cross, and Washington College.

Where are you from?

Brockton, Massachusetts

What interests you about your subject?

I had a teacher in junior high who taught me about the presidential election that year that sparked my interest in politics and elections. I see politics as a way of achieving justice in a country. You can use history, economics, and political science to see what politics really work for people.

What is your favorite movie and why?

Star Wars: A New Hope because you have this young farm boy who discovers that he is really very powerful and is able to overcome all odds and deal a really incredible blow to an evil empire. I’ve always liked science fiction. Runner-ups are The Avengers and The Shining. I also enjoy Marvel movies.

What is the best piece of advice you have ever received?

Be honest with yourself, which sounds obvious but a lot of people lie to themselves to comfort themselves about their own strengths and weaknesses. They try not to think about the weaknesses of their beliefs. Socrates said, “the unexamined life is not worth living,” which means to examine what you believe if you are critical of yourself everything will fall into place. A lot of people make bad decisions in life because they are going into that decision without their eyes wide open.