A Letter from the Editors

Emma Baskin and Melina Angeledes, Co-Editors-in-Chief

As we reach our final issue for The Anchor, we’d like to look back on this past year and explain why being the Editors-in-Chief is so special to us. Finding ourselves in a position where we both wanted to share our writing skills through this publication, we came together at the end of our junior year and proposed that The Anchor should be spearheaded by two Editors-in-Chief. To our excitement, our proposal came through as we both earned the job. 

Working together to oversee this publication was an amazing, collaborative experience. Beginning in the summer, we both interned at the Gotham Group, a talent management and production company that represents writers and creates film adaptations. Already in an environment that supports creativity and collaboration, we both knew this would help contribute to our mutual leadership in The Anchor once school started. In creating ideas

Emma and Melina with some Storm Troopers at their internship!

during the summer at our internship, we were ready to take on the 2022-2023 issue.  

Prior to our roles as Co-Editors-in-Chief, we began as Section Editors for The Anchor. Melina started her career as a Staff writer during her Freshman and Sophomore years, sharing articles like “Wonderful Winter Recipes: Easy Access Recipes in Quarantine!” or “My high school career in the Pandemic – from a Sophomore.” Her contributions as an underclassman prepared her to take on a more challenging leadership position as the Health and Leisure Section Editor during her Junior year. 

However, Melina’s creativity and ability to unite others through her writing are some of her most admirable qualities. So, there was no question that Melina was the right person for Co-Editor-in-Chief. Getting to work with Melina and actively seeing her dreams for The Anchor become a reality has been both an inspiration and an honor. In reflection on this year, I can confidently say that Melina’s leadership and wise words are a source of unwavering positivity and encouragement that radiate throughout our community. I can’t wait to see her change the world with her words as she pursues a career in the entertainment industry. 

Likewise, my Co-Editor-in-Chief, Emma, has been a member of The Anchor for two years, beginning as the Student Life Section Editor in her Junior year. Emma authored several articles such as “The Sisterhood” and “Courtyard Takeover: An Inside Scoop on the Most Pressing Lunchtime Topics.” Coming in as a Junior, Emma’s writing and leadership skills helped her excel in this role. 

Emma’s ability to lead the staff editors and writers in meeting their deadlines helped make this year on The Anchor seamless. Her dedication towards making this year special shows through both her role as Co-Editor-in-Chief and ASB President. Taking on two important roles, Emma exceeded expectations and poured her heart into making sure Marymount is represented to the best of its ability. Having the opportunity to work beside Emma has truly made my senior year, for she not only taught me how to be a leader, but also a friend to everyone. 

While our paths to becoming Co-Editors-in-Chief were individual, we entered this position with a common goal of using our words to instill awareness and authenticity within the Marymount community. Anaiis Nan summarizes our vision for this year perfectly in that “the role of a writer is not to say what we can all say, but what we are unable or sometimes afraid to say.” Through the hard work of our staff writers, the unbridled support of Ms. Donovan, and the tremendous love from the Marymount community, we feel confident that our words within The Anchor 2022-2023 publication were meaningful to both ourselves and the community alike, and brought this same awareness and impact to others. In learning more about our goal for this year, we hope that this publication was able to speak to you in some type of way– to provide you with a new perspective, understanding, and most importantly, an overwhelming sense of love for writing. 

All our best, 

Emma Baskin and Melina Angeledes