AP Exam Tips

Chad Mcdermott

Courtesy of KTEM News

Sloane Leipzig '17, Staff Writer

The first two weeks of May represent a fiery inferno of testing to AP students across the country, but there are ways to turn down the heat!  If you are a sophomore entering this AP testing season with no experience besides the horror stories told by upperclasswomen or a veteran senior, who is a veteran of the conflict between sleep and cramming that encapsulates AP season, there are a number of tips and tricks that you can take advantage of to create a study environment that is conducive to both staying healthy and acing your exams.  

1. Brain Food

Eat foods that promote brain health and speed to keep you focused and healthy during your study sessions.  Fishes high in fatty acids and omega-3 fats, such as salmon and trout, are excellent because they provide EPA and DHA in forms that your body can easily use to keep your brain functioning quickly and to improve information retention.  In addition, nuts, especially walnuts and almonds, are excellent for keeping you alert and energized while you study because they get used up slowly so that your body has a constant supply of fuel.

2. Organize Yourself

The specific form of organization is not incredibly important: you can utilize color-coding, separate binders, flashcards, or a study schedule. The key is to sort out both the information you are reviewing and the manner in which you review it.  Organize what topics you want to cover, when you want to cover them, and what study method you want to use.  By deciding in advance how you want to handle each subject you will set yourself up for test-taking success!

3. Rest

Resting is often the hardest part of AP season: many students don’t want to take study breaks for fear of losing valuable study time, and they never get enough sleep because of the unbelievable amount of information to review. Nevertheless, it truly is essential to get enough sleep.  Your brain and body require sleep to function to their full potential and stay healthy; give your body the fuel it needs to perform at its best!