Marymount Around the World

Courtesy of Smriti Kaushik ‘20

Courtesy of Smriti Kaushik ‘20

Courtesy of Smriti Kaushik ‘20

Smriti Kaushik ‘20, Staff Writer

It’s the most festive time of the year again! The holidays are quickly approaching, and as students prepare to enter Christmas break, the Marymount campus is well lit with positive vibes, especially as friends exchange gifts and sport festive accessories. As the New Year also approaches, people contemplate past memories. Every year, everyone anticipates the coming of the holidays to share their traditions and celebrate a new year. Have you ever thought about how people like us, from around the world, celebrate this holiday season? Well, there is a way to connect with and experience how girls who are similar in age celebrate, and these girls also go to Marymount High School!

Courtesy of Smriti Kaushik ‘20

Our Marymount High School may be the only one in Los Angeles, but it isn’t the only Marymount in the USA, or better yet, the world. There are many Marymount High Schools celebrating the end of the year and their traditions in their own, special way. The RHSM Global Network of Schools consists of the building of international schools of Marymount, ever since the first Marymount was built by the founding of the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary. The RHSM Global Network of Schools plan events where the head of schools converse; there are many regional meetings.

There was also a penpal program where girls could communicate with each other about their daily lives via email. Additionally, a couple of years ago, we had a live video chat with girls from Marymount High School in Colombia and we got to learn a lot of new things about what their lifestyle was like going to Marymount in Colombia compared to Marymount Los Angeles. We talked about their uniforms, what they loved about Marymount and simple things like what Colombia was like and how they would commute to school every day. Currently, we decided to revisit the idea of having a video chat. To start it off, we decided to contact Marymount in London and we are still waiting for a response, which will hopefully be soon! The RHSM Penpal program would be a great way for us to be in contact with girls our age from around the world, going to the same school, and it will give us a better insight on how they celebrate special festivals and live daily life compared to us. Here is a link to the video chat which was done with the girls from Marymount High School in Colombia: https://mhsanchor.org/marymount-news/2013/12/20/an-interview-with-marymount-colombia-students/