Dr. Koh Sings His Way to Marymount

A Marymount New Faculty Member Profile

Dr. Koh Sings His Way to Marymount

Who is Dr. Koh? What makes him tick? A Google search of “Dr. Koh” yields about 18,500,000 results. That puts him below both Art Garfunkel with 2,280,000 and William McKinley with 28,200,00. He is well ahead of “Where is the nearest taco bell” with 363,000 results; however, he is not even close to “Cat gifs” with 45,000,000. When asked to comment he said, “I am surprised that the high school from Glee has so many search results.”  Dr. Koh, the former Boy Scout and current lover of musical theater, comes to Los Angeles after five years of teaching in the depths of the Floridian jungle at St. Edward’s School. The Singaporean-born singer earned his doctorate in Conducting Choirs; this assertion was corroborated by his ability to name several classical composers and the fact that he knew B major has five sharps. His favorite key, however, would have to be either D flat or E major because of their colorful natures.

Dr. Koh says he was compelled to move to Los Angeles to be closer to his family, who presumably live in the area. Interestingly, he chooses the collaborative atmosphere of the Performing Arts department over the quality of school newspaper interviewers as his favorite thing about Marymount. His dream for Marymount is a larger dedicated performance space for choir.

When asked which animal he would most like to be, Dr. Koh quickly replied, showing that he has put a great deal of thought into this, that he would like to be a dolphin. “You’re a mammal, but you’re in an oceanic world, so you kind of have the best of both worlds. You can come to the surface and they seem very playful and joyous and they’re very communal, you know, and they’re just very graceful, beautiful animals.” Unfortunately for Dr. Koh, but luckily for Marymount, the man who plays video games in his spare time is not a good swimmer. And that is what makes Dr. Koh tick.