US Naval Academy Women’s Glee Club Visits Marymount

Grace Rector '17, Staff Writer

Grace with US Naval Academy Women's Glee Club member
Grace with US Naval Academy Women’s Glee Club member

On March 17, 2016, Marymount was graced by the comedic, inspiring, and impressive performance of the US Naval Academy Women’s Club. The Marymount community gathered in Cantwell during Period 9 to watch the glee club sing, and no one left disappointed. They performed various styles of music from pop (Pitch Perfect – “The Sign”) to musical theater (Thoroughly Modern Millie – “Forget About the Boy) to choral (“Homeland”). Their presence on stage was exceedingly engaging. In one song they simply rubbed the palms of their hands together, stomped, and clapped to create a beautiful piece.

One of the best aspects of their visit was their joint performance with the Marymount Choir in the song “Homeland.” Not only did the voices of the two wonderful choirs blend together, but the Marymount girls also had the experience of following the US Naval Academy Women’s Glee Club’s conductor. The piece was filled with emotion and passion with several low notes as well as unreachable high ones.

“It was awesome to interact with older students who were also passionate about singing,” shares Sarah Gill ’17, member of the Marymount choir. This collaborative song allowed Marymount students to learn from older mentors well into their careers.

Here’s a link to video from the performance.