Kingdom Fair

Courtesy of Gabriela Holian ’20

Courtesy of Gabriela Holian ’20

Courtesy of Gabriela Holian ’20

Gabriela Holian ’20, Staff Writer

The Marymount Kingdom Fair is an opportunity for juniors to gain an understanding of how a nonprofit service organization works. Juniors select ideally one organization, volunteer for thirty hours at that particular organization, and present their experiences, as well as their gained insight, at the annual Kingdom Fair during Community.

On Wednesday, April 19th, the annual Kingdom Fair event took place in the Pavilion. This special Marymount tradition allows for freshmen and sophomores to learn about different service opportunities and organizations throughout Los Angeles and abroad. Hopefully, as the younger classes perceived the many posters, projects, and presentations during Community, they developed ideas about what kind of organization they wanted to volunteer at during their junior year.

This year’s Kingdom Fair incorporated a new element: a problem-solving project. Some students worked in Marymount’s Makerspace to 3D print tools or solutions to give to their organization. This creative and innovative part of the Kingdom Fair inspired new ideas for lowerclasswomen. Some girls created presentations or made short videos to convey their experience more efficiently. Junior Marina Davis volunteered at Cedars Sinai in the stroke rehabilitation department, and she created a laser-cut puzzle because she wanted to cheer the patients up while providing an interactive game for stimulation and recuperation from their stroke. Marina explains, “I learned a lot about how important it is to just be there for patients. They sit in their hospital beds for days or even weeks without anything to do, so it means a lot to them to either help them recover or simply talk to them.

Finally, congratulations to all of the Juniors for their inspiring service experiences as well as their heartfelt and creative projects!

Courtesy of Gabriela Holian ’20