AP Literature’s Field Trip Recap

Courtesy of Joe Mazza, www.stageandcinema.com

Emma Pierson '20, Staff Writer

On September 19th, the AP Literature class traveled to the Getty Villa in Malibu to attend a performance of Iphigenia at Aulis by Euripides.  The production was directed by Charles Newell and staged in the Fleishman Theatre, an outdoor venue modeled after Greek and Roman theatres.  Iphigenia at Aulis is a classical tragedy in which the protagonist, king Agamemnon, confronts a horrific dilemma: the Goddess Artemis has demanded the sacrifice of his daughter in exchange for the winds that will take his fleet to victory.  

Marymount students were moved by the compelling performances of the ensemble. According to Elle Lavin, Sandra Marquez, the actress who played Clytemnestra, delivered a particularly memorable performance. Her portrayal of a woman who faces the sacrifice of her daughter exuded the sheer emotion that could simply not be captured on paper. Elle said, “It was heartbreaking to see how desperate she was … The whole audience could feel the pain she was experiencing.” It is true that the text of a play is greatly augmented when played out on the stage, and certainly, the students of AP Literature felt this to be the case. It was an edifying and enjoyable field trip for all, and it will continue to have a massive impact on Marymount students long into the future.