Marymount Litigators Rock Mock Trial

Courtesy of Danielle Glenn ‘18

Courtesy of Danielle Glenn ‘18

Courtesy of Danielle Glenn ‘18

Ashley Chase ‘18, Student Life Section Editor

Courtesy of Danielle Glenn ‘18

High school students are not commonly found in courtrooms. However, if one recently peered into the Stanley-Mosk Courthouse in downtown Los Angeles, they may have seen Marymount’s enthusiastic Mock Trial team. This group of self-assured students studies a real court case and debates it in front of a practicing judge.

Courtesy of Danielle Glenn ‘18

Composed of witnesses, attorneys, a bailiff, a court clerk, and a court photographer, the Mock Trial team worked diligently this year to prepare both a defense and prosecution argument in a contested murder trial. Marymount girls spent hours outside of school learning the facts of the case, memorizing witness statements, and rehearsing speeches. With invaluable guidance from Mock Trial moderator and AP US Government teacher, Ms. Brasda, attorneys questioned the constitutionality of the evidence in the case and discussed the issues directly with the judge.

Courtesy of Danielle Glenn ‘18

At around 5:30 PM on November 2nd, Marymount’s defense team faced another school’s prosecution team and won its case. With theatricality and passion, Marymount attorneys rapidly delivered astute objections and charged rebuttals. The defense team successfully argued that guilt could not be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. However, the Mock Trial team also won an impressive victory for the prosecution argument on November 9th. By presenting knowledgeable witnesses and solid evidence, the prosecution conclusively persuaded a different judge to incriminate the defendant.

Courtesy of Danielle Glenn ‘18

Because the team scored exceptionally high and enjoyed an undefeated streak, Marymount High School automatically qualified for the Senior Playoffs. Selected among over 100 competing teams in Los Angeles, Marymount advanced as one of only 20 schools remaining. It competed for a last time on November 13th.

Marymount’s Mock Trial team is truly remarkable – no objection necessary. Defense attorney Ashley Chase ‘18 and prosecution witness Amelia Dyer ‘19 received Most Valuable Player Awards from the opposing team, which awarded certificates in recognition of outstanding performance in the trial. After each case closed, the presiding judge always held compliments for the Marymount team and individuals. On November 2nd, the judge explained how impressed he felt for high school students who practice their debate skills and speak with such boldness.

As the team plans on extending the program and advancing even further next year, its members are excited to continue cultivating their passion for litigation!

Courtesy of Danielle Glenn ‘18