Susie the Sailor

Keira Lavelle ‘23 & Katherine Zehenni ‘22, Staff Writers

Any tips for people who procrastinate? (I feel like freshmen will benefit from this tip!) 

Have a Planner– One of the best ways to stay organized and keep track of assignments is to have a planner. Buy a planner from a store like Staples or Target, and get into the habit of writing all of your assignments and their due dates. Additionally, in your planner, write what days you will complete your assignments, as well as how long you think each assignment will take for you to complete. If you prefer to type out your “to-do list,” then there is an easy solution! There are many free applications that can be downloaded and utilized to keep track of everything. Also, you could simply use the stickies application sitting on the dock of your computer. It is really easy because it can create several notes and that way it can stay organized.

Allocate time in your day to study for upcoming tests– Some people who spend a long time doing homework each day forget to study for tests and quizzes or don’t spend enough time studying. Make sure you spend enough time studying for your tests and quizzes. If you are planning on doing an assignment one night that isn’t due the next day, maybe hold that off and study for your test instead.

Prioritize– It is very easy to get bored by assignments if you don’t like the subject matter itself. Create a schedule balancing assignments you like with ones you struggle with. For example, if you love math but struggle with biology, then tackle your biology homework first, then your math homework will feel like a break. 

Distraction-Free Zone– This is probably one of the hardest things for people to do, but probably the most beneficial. Turn your phone off and put it in another room while you’re doing your homework or studying. Trust me on this. You will finish your homework a lot faster and you’ll be way more focused. If you have to use your phone for your homework, turn it on Do Not Disturb mode.