Learning the process of education

Paula Mendoza '15, Features Section Editor

Home is where the heart is. Needless to say, Marymount is my home. It has been my comfort, my shelter, and my safe haven for the past four years. No matter my situation, an incredible family composed of peers, teachers, and mentors have kept me afloat and thriving. For unconditional love and support, I am forever grateful for the environment in which I’ve grown more than I could have ever imagined and found a sisterhood for life. I came to Marymount primarily for an education, but I have receive far beyond that as I am a more confident, aware, and global young woman, thanks to the magic of this community.

Last week, I attended my older sister’s graduate school commencement and the keynote speaker’s message particularly struck a chord with me. He passionately proclaimed, “Education is not a product. It’s a process.” Upon hearing this, I was stunned this never occurred to me. (I’d like to say I occasionally have epiphanies of wisdom.) He was absolutely, positively correct. One may think an education is such only once he or she finally receives a diploma or degree. However, the pursuit of education is an education itself. It is the discovery of the world and oneself; an indefinable process of metamorphosis that molds the mind and soul.

The profession of a student is one of splendor and prestige. As a student, you are constantly discovering the world and yourself. Thus, nothing compares to the ability to freely explore and grow intellectually and emotionally. No matter what happens in life, your education can never be taken away from you. You know what you know, so own it. Looking back at the past four years, I realize how much I’ve grown academically and emotionally simply from being a student. Being a student is a full-time occupation that requires the finest dedication and effort. More often than not, it can be difficult to find that within ourselves, as tasks usually seem too daunting or virtually impossible (think studying for the AP Euro exam). My life as a student has molded me far beyond textbook facts, but has taught me how to approach problems and how to cope with difficult situations. This occupation is often overlooked because it is not actual “work”. However, it is of equal importance to any profession and debatably even more important. Take pride in your studenthood. You are already changing the world.

Seniors, I can only hope that you reap the fruits of your labor with grace and humility, and never forget your roots. As you wade through life’s unpredictable waters, just remember that you have a family that always has your back. You will do great things. You will be a driving force. But as you go off, take a reflective and solemn look over your shoulder and remember the place in which you’ve celebrated, cried, and cheered; the place that has expanded your knowledge and opened you to new doors. Also, don’t just remember the good memories. Remember the challenges you faced—you gained valuable lessons from your obstacles. Although you may physically be a distance away, the life you’ve spent here at Marymount will always be a part of you.

On a personal note, to those that have ever said a kind word to me, to those who have pushed me beyond my limits, to those who hugged me through my highs and lows, to those who reached out a helping hand, thank you. You have no idea how much I treasure your being and influence on my life. You have taught me how to be a better person in all dimensions of my life, how to walk with my head held high yet with a deep humility and gratitude.

Now as a final hurrah, three cheers for Marymount: for changing my life for the better and giving me wings to fly.