Homecoming Dance Replaces Formal

Courtesy of Sheridan Country School District

Sydney Freeman '18, Staff Writer

For many years students at Marymount have participated in the winter formal dance in February; it became a staple of the Marymount experience, known for always being at a fabulous venue with great music and lively dancing. However, this year’s formal has been replaced with a new homecoming dance. Homecoming is a classic American high school event in which students are welcomed back to school and often celebrate their football team. Some students are tentative about this new dance because homecoming traditionally occurs at coed schools. Even an all-boys school with a football team, like Loyola, does not have a homecoming dance.

Malina Yago ’18 says, “I have mixed feelings about homecoming because although I am open to new things and welcome new traditions, I am sad because [formal] was really fun and I am not sure if homecoming will be the same.” She has a point: nobody knows if homecoming will be the same, but everyone knew exactly what to expect with formal. It was almost set in stone that groups of friends would meet at someone’s house, pose for pictures, then ride in a nice car or limo to formal, where dancing and of course more pictures would ensue. Homecoming, however, marks unfamiliar territory; even though other schools have this dance, and many Marymount girls get asked to go, nobody knows what homecoming will be like at our school or this venue. While some might argue that venturing into the unknown is a bad thing, others like Hareena Johnson ’18 are “excited for something new.”

Another point brought up by many students was, without a football team, what is there to celebrate? Even though Marymount does not have a football team, ASB has planned a spirit competition to act as our own homecoming game. Besides, there is plenty to be proud of and celebrate for homecoming including a new year, new students, and new opportunities.  Although the winter formal is no longer a part of the Marymount tradition, a new one has been created with this dance. The opportunity to be a part of the first homecoming to ever to happen in Marymount’s ninety-three-year life is truly amazing. Despite the fact that the formal will be missed, it is comforting to think that new memories and new discoveries can be found in homecoming. This dance is a time to grab some friends, put on a cute dress, and be a part of Sailor history.