What is The March for Life? The Perspective of a Catholic Feminist

Courtesy of CNN

Christina Fazio '18, Staff Writer

For most of my life, being both a feminist and a Catholic has felt like a contradiction in every aspect of life; this remains the same regarding the controversial, yet effective March for Life. The March for Life is an annual rally held in Washington, D.C which protests the very idea of abortion and overtime: Planned Parenthood. Since January 22, 1974, hundreds of thousands of women have banded together to show their support in the Pro-Life debate. Many women have even argued that they would not stop protesting until abortion was illegal.

The Culture Wars: it is one of the longest-lasting divisions in history that has stood the testament of time. The incessant battle between the modernists and the traditionalists has dated back decades to before the abortion debate. Whether it be the prohibition of 1920s, equal gender and racial voting rights, gay marriage debates, or even abortion, the traditionalists and modernists have fought for their beliefs.

Although it is quite admirable to visualize women banding together for their beliefs in a peaceful and nonviolent way, there is a subtle destruction to it all. As a Catholic feminist, I have grappled with the conflicts and debates that are a constant issue with the two most important aspects of my life. From a Catholic perspective, I know that my religion has a firm standing on the matter, but as a woman and a feminist, I continue to struggle with my own beliefs regarding abortion. At the end of the day, I am a Catholic feminist who is Pro-Choice and the fact that women are being told that there are certain restrictions to what we can do to our bodies is unjust, unconstitutional and unfair.

The March for Life may be a protest that values much of the traditional values that remain in America’s History; however, America evolves with us: the human race. In my opinion, the March for Life, despite their best efforts, is traditional, played out, and many people involved refuse to look and consider the perspective of the modernists, or even the newer generations.

Whether Pro-Choice or Pro-Life, abortion is never easy and it is a difficult decision to grapple with and one that can’t be taken back. However, we have come so far in history as humans who demand respect and equality despite ethnicity, gender or race and to neglect to view women’s choice to their own bodies would mean we would have to take 10 steps backward. We live in America, the home of the free and the brave, doesn’t that entitle women to the decency and rights to their own bodies?

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this article are the author’s own and do not reflect the views of Marymount High School.