Glad to be a Grad?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Glad to be a Grad?

Courtesy of Cate Rozelle '18

Courtesy of Cate Rozelle '18

Courtesy of Cate Rozelle '18

Courtesy of Cate Rozelle '18

Myers Rodberg ‘19, Staff Writer

As college draws near, many seniors await graduation with nervous anticipation. However, while May 25th  may seem to mark an ending, it’s really the beginning of new chapter in their life.

Wanting to learn more about the seniors’ true feelings and thoughts as they approach this momentous day, I interviewed three select seniors. Overall, they, of course, expressed excitement about college, but some fears and doubts about venturing, sometimes half-way across the country, also arose.

Courtesy of Cate Rozelle ’18

Cate Rozelle, who plans on attending Dartmouth in the fall, expresses her  “[excitement] to experience all four seasons, and not just the warm climate and always sunny skies of California.” Jo Reilly, who prefers the temperature just how it is, shared her anticipation as she “looks forward to meeting new people at Santa Clara” and hopes that “being  in a new environment will broaden her horizons.” She also eagerly awaits the new sense of freedom and independence that comes with being a college student as well as participating in Santa Clara’s intramural sports. As for Mia, she looks forward to immersing herself in the city of Seattle, meeting her roommate, and most importantly, decorating her dorm.

Courtesy of Mia Whitney ’18

Interestingly, within all of their responses, they also expressed feelings of nervousness as they make this transition. For Cate, she fears not being able to see her brother and pets until vacation and holidays. As for Jo, she is anxious about several things: being homesick and leaving her sister, not finding people she truly connects with, missing “the Marymount community and all the lovely ladies!” Although she knows she will find a group of friends at Santa Clara, she worries they won’t measure up to the strong relationships she formed with those around her through activities such as cross country and track. Mia shares Jo’s concerns, knowing she’ll miss “the immediate relationships she has formed throughout her four years at Marymount” the most.

In observing the seniors’ complex emotions and uncertainties about the future ahead of them, I have gained a better sense of how the graduates truly feel about graduation. That being said, I feel confident in knowing that, despite their anticipation and pre-college nerves, the Class of 2018 can overcome any obstacles they may face and I wish all the seniors well in all of their future endeavors.