Freshmen Thoughts on Computer Science

Courtesy of Northwest College

Millie Dyer ‘19, Opinion Editor

Memories of my freshman year are colored by free periods spent in the former library. Before its dramatic conversion, I would rush to fight for a space in one of the few cozy orange chairs, scattered about the space in no particular pattern. If lucky, I would settle down to begin my biology homework, unknowing that a wall of glass would soon replace the familiar plastered walls, that the bookshelves would sink to dramatically low levels. Two and a half years later, technology has entered the space where my freshman-self perused the shelves. Hopefully, the dramatic transformation of the library will have the purpose of welcoming a class that has the skills to take on what else the DRC has to offer.

Careers in computer science are proliferating, especially as people come to recognize the salary benefits for those that can comprehend the subject matter. “Computer science” no longer exclusively involves the day-to-day commitment of staring at a screen. The field filters into many other positions that do not involve as much screen-squinting and back-hunching as we may think. Programmers that have mastered just a few programming languages have the potential to make it far in the rapidly changing world of technology.

Now is your time, DRC! Freshmen, time to become “trilingual!”

When I first got word of the new computer science course being offered to freshmen, I figured that it could be a reasonable idea, even despite the consequential loss of a free-period for half of the year. I had my own run-in with coding in middle school, but only to drop everything that I had learned as soon as I came to Marymount. Unfortunately for me, the facts have proved that the future depends on those who are more engaged in learning about computer science. Freshmen, apologies where your free period is concerned, but it looks like this absence of extra free time is not completely unfounded.

I was curious about what the freshmen themselves had to say about the new computer science class. I had the opportunity to interview a couple of them, who choose to remain anonymous.

One freshman tells me that the class is engaging. She told me that she had already had some computer science up her sleeve and that this course was a “refresher” for her. She did, however, admit that a free period would “help a lot” – partially because she does not see herself going into computer science in the near future. Meanwhile, she hears that a few of her freshman friends do plan on utilizing computer science beyond the classroom and therefore have a deeper appreciation for the course.

The second freshman that I interviewed told me that the class was a bit too new to be taken seriously by her peers. She told me that it was “fine,” but that the course particularly challenges her to complete assignments and receive good grades. Overall, she says that she is glad to have Mr. Samuels as a teacher, as he is kind, patient, and informative.

I wonder whether or not my freshman self would have enjoyed a computer science course. Perhaps a free period is of greater use for someone who has no interest in computer science. Even since, there is the chance that I would have developed an interest from taking the course. Regardless of my own experience, I think that it is important that we begin exposing the freshmen to computer science. We cannot predict the future, but we do know that it will have a home for computer scientists.