Marymount Athletes Commit to College Teams

Ryan Netter '16, Staff Writer

Several Marymount athletes have committed to top-notch universities for a variety of sports.  Here are some of the players that have been recruited.

Mia ‘15

• Sport: Volleyball
  • What school you’re going to: The University of Arizona
  • How long you’ve been playing: I have been playing volleyball for six years since I was 12.
  • Why you chose/like this school: I was born in Tucson, where the school is located. Both of my parents attended the U of A, too. My Dad played basketball there and my Mom played volleyball. My brother is currently a sophomore at U of A and plays basketball. I love the weather in Arizona and the beautiful campus. I also like the fact that the basketball and football teams are top ranked in the NCAA.
  • What you’re most excited about: Some things that I am most excited about are going to school with my brother and my best friend,Tyler, and being a part of the PAC-12 conference.
  • What you’ve learned from being an athlete: From being an athlete, I have learned a lot about how hard work, and that dedication to something you love can get you to where you want to be. I also learned that it takes many long hours in the gym to really reach your full potential. One final thing I learned is that no goal is too hard to reach, it all just depends on the amount of work you’re willing to put into a specific task.

Catherine ‘15

• Sport: Volleyball
  • What school you’re going to: Dartmouth
  • How long you’ve been playing: Since 4th grade
  • Why you chose/like this school: I love the size, location, volleyball team, academics, and social life
  • What you’re most excited about: I’m really excited for everything! I’m looking forward to experiencing a new part of the country and just being in college and meeting new people.
  • What you’ve learned from being an athlete: I have learned time management, the importance of hard work, and teamwork

Charlie ‘16

• Sport: Volleyball
  • School: I’m going to UCSB
  • How long you’ve been playing: I have been playing since 4th grade
  • Why you chose/like this school: I chose this school because not only is it a great academic school for me, but it also has a great volleyball program. I absolutely love the coaches and the whole team! Also I like that it is on the West Coast and that it is close to home, but not too close. My cousins and grandma live in Santa Barbara, and my mom lived there when she was younger, so I have grown up visiting it often and I love the area!
  • What you’re most excited about: I’m most excited about getting to live right on the beach and getting to be part of such an amazing team and volleyball program.
  • What you’ve learned from being an athlete: As an athlete, I’ve learned that you need to be very dedicated to the sport. It takes hard work and a lot of heart to be a good player/athlete. Also I’ve learned that if you set a goal and strive to reach it, you will find success and will achieve your dreams.
  • Anything else: Playing a college sport takes a lot of devotion and hard work. It can definitely be hard to juggle school-work, a social life, and a sport all at once; however, if you really love the sport, then a challenging schedule can definitely be manageable. Also I suggest that if you wish to play a sport in college, then really look into different schools that you would wish to go to and figure out if you are willing to devote most of your college life to one sport.

Cassie ‘15

• Sport: Sailing
  • School: Stanford
  • How long I’ve been sailing: 9 years
  • Why I chose/like this school: It has amazing academics, an awesome sailing team, and great benefits for varsity athletes–not to mention nice weather! Also, my sister goes there, so I’m looking forward to joining her.
  • What I’m most excited about: I’m so excited (and nervous) to practice with and learn from older teammates with way more experience in college sailing.  Aside from sailing, I look forward to interesting classes and meeting a lot of new people.
  • What I’ve learned from being an athlete: I’ve learned to manage my time well and to work conscientiously.  I’ve also learned the importance of working hard yourself because no one else will do the work for you.