Another Successful Coachella

Clara Lacey '17, Staff Writer

Every year, as springtime approaches, thousands of music-lovers, trendsetters, festival fanatics, and, yes, Marymount students venture into the Indio desert for one of the most legendary California music events: the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival. The festival has presided for sixteen years at the Empire Polo Club, whose “Polo” sign was altered at some point during one festival weekend to instead read “Yolo,” a much more fitting title for Coachella. The space consists of several booths for food, merchandise, and different businesses, along with more than six stages, scattered art installations, and the largest travelling Ferris wheel in North America. This year, in accordance with its tradition of renowned and happening performers, the Coachella lineup featured popular artists including AC/DC, David Guetta, Hozier, and Drake. Here are some highlights from this year’s festival:

• A giant colorful Caterpillar roamed the grounds, until it blossomed into a mobile butterfly. On the last day of Weekend Two, both art pieces wandered and enjoyed the festival.
  • Florence and the Machine’s energetic Weekend One show led the lead singer (Florence) to break her foot from dancing and caused her to perform a more slowed down, intimate version of their show Weekend Two.
  • Hozier delivered a soulful performance as the sun set over the Coachella Stage.
  • Junior Katie Schiebal describes, “I was listening to The Weeknd’s cover of ‘Heartless’ and then Kanye West came out! It was an amazing experience.”
  • Alesso turned up Sahara Tent on Friday night with a dynamic performance featuring bold visuals on the screens and epic bass drops.
  • Fashion trends took a step away from flower crowns to include mirrored sunglasses, boho hats, and flash tattoos.
  • Food booths were included in the fun, featuring treats to cool down from the heat such as coconut ice cream, popsicles, and smoothies.
  • Drake brought up Madonna, who planted a kiss on him during his energetic performance. During his performance at Weekend Two, his set featured a cameo from close friend Nicki Minaj.

Overall, Coachella attendees left Indio facing the intense post-concert-depression that coincides with an epic weekend, yet also left with happy memories. Sophomore Kimberly Bleak says, “I’ll never forget being front row for David Guetta and Yellow Claw with my Marymount friends; I’ve never had that much fun.” Many festivalgoers are already counting down the days until Coachella 2016. Why? Perhaps Sophomore Kristiane Alphson explains it best when she says, “Everyone is there to genuinely have a good time and appreciate the music, so you are surrounded by generally really cool people.” The weekend might be over, but the experience you have, the music you discover, the people you bond with—these are things that will stay with you.