Becoming CO(de) Literate

Photo courtesy of dailygenius.com.

Laurel Wholihan '16, Staff Writer

During this past school year, Marymount created a new program called CO(de) Literate that offers students the opportunity to learn code during Period 9. I reached out to CO(de) Literate teacher and moderator Mr. Skrentny to discuss why code is so vital in a technology-driven world and what Marymount students can expect from CO(de) Literate next year.

LW: Why do you think coding is so important in our world today?

Mr. S: Technology is continually changing how we interact in the world.  In order to shape the future, it is critical to learn how to communicate through computers and technology.  Those who can code will have a hand in molding what our existence looks like in the years to come.

LW: How does code play a role in our daily lives?

Mr. S: Everything we do on our phones involves code.  Code allows a computer to help us become more efficient in our daily activities.

LW: What can we expect from Marymount’s Code Literate program over the summer and next school year?

Mr. S: CO(de)Literate is designed to give students a sampling of coding languages.  Becoming an expert coder does not happen quickly, you have to experience the possibilities of coding, see examples, dissect each line, and practice for yourself.  Being in an environment where you can play with code, make mistakes, and then fix them is all a part of the process.  Next year CO(de)Literate will offer an increased sampling of workshops and provide the back-bone for further investigation.

LW: What has been your favorite moment of teaching code this year?

Mr. S: It’s wonderful to see students make mistakes when coding.  An extra bracket or a misplaced comma can disrupt the execution of the function.  The best part is seeing a student dig in line by line, character by character and try to figure out what went wrong.  In that moment the problem-solving skills awaken and when the error is found… EUREKA!  Relief!  These moments challenge and empower students.

LW: What advice would you give to someone who is thinking of pursuing coding in college and possibly in their career?

Mr. S: Go to the Internet!  The web is full of example code, tutorials, and more.  Figure out what you want to do and look it up!  Alter existing code and make your own version to suit your needs.  You are in charge of what you learn, so start now and do your own research.

A special thanks to Mr. Skrentny for the interview. Stay tuned for more coding opportunities in the fall!