Another One for the Books—Faculty vs. Student Basketball Game

Christine Gemperle ‘17, Staff Writer

BEEEEEP! The buzzer sounds and the crowd cheers as Mr. Hurley finally makes the last layup of the game, concluding the 2015-2016 Faculty vs. Student Basketball event.

If this scenario is news to you, you’ve unfortunately missed out on the greatest and most anticipated Marymount sporting event of the year. During Period 9 on January 12th 2016, a team of ruthless faculty and staff members took on the Varsity basketball team. The stands filled to the brim with students and teachers eager to see what the Marymount community was capable of, and they were certainly not disappointed. From Mr. Berkowitz’s drives to the basket, to Mr. Clarke’s multiple fast breaks, to Mr. Baker’s jaw dropping 3-pointers, the faculty/staff team proved to be stiff competition for our student athletes.

The Faculty vs. Student Basketball game is an annual event at Marymount where a group of brave faculty and staff members (volunteers, of course) led by Mr. Baker, the Varsity basketball coach, compete against the Varsity basketball team. With Ms. Dickie and Coach S. as the referees, the two teams always have a great time, participating in friendly competition while still fiercely battling for the win. Both teams are encouraged by the never-ending support from everyone watching; not a minute goes by without someone in the crowd shouting words of encouragement to the players.

This year, the Varsity basketball team took the win, but all in all, as long as another game can be put in the books as a successful and hilarious occasion, nothing else really matters.

If you didn’t get a chance to attend the game this year, don’t worry. Stay tuned and check your email for reminders this time next year!