Dr. Hussain: Muslims and Catholics Alike

Grace Rector '17, Staff Writer

In society, individuals are frequently judged by the color of their skin, the clothes they wear, the interests they have, or the religion they believe in. Why do people judge others?

They judge people that are different from them because they don’t understand anything outside of themselves. In the news recently, there have been thousands of statements ostracizing Muslims and labeling them as terrorists. These opinions portray the religion of Islam completely incorrectly, and the first step to removing this stigma is to talk about it.

On January 11, Dr. Amir Hussain, a professor in the department of theological studies at Loyola Marymount University, came to talk to the students of Marymount about the religion of Islam and its similarities with Christianity. He explained that the five basic pillars of Islam are:

1. Shahaddah – the faith statement

2. Salat – five daily prayers

3. Zakat – alms

4. Sawm – fasting

5. Hajj – Pilgrimage to Mecca

All of these pillars are ways Islamic persons get involved and show devotion to their religion, and some of these resonate with active Christians as well. 

In addition, Hussain mentioned that Mary, the mother of Jesus, is mentioned by name in the Qur’an 34 times whereas she is only mentioned 19 times in the New Testament. This goes to show the similarities in historical figures found in both religions.

Both religious texts, the Bible and the Qur’an, share similar values as seen in Qur’an 19:30-35, “Lo, I am God’s servant; God has given me the book and made me a prophet. God has made me blessed, wherever I may be; and God has enjoined me to pray and to give alms so long as I live, and likewise to cherish my mother; God has not made me arrogant or prosperous. Peace be upon me the day I was born, and the day I die, and the day I am raised up alive.” This quote demonstrates the similar ideals in both religions and furthermore goes against the hateful prejudices against Islam that call them all terrorists.

We must come together to recognize the similarities between our religions and have more frequent religious conversations— beginning with you. Pass it on.