Inspiring Boldness: Dr. Jayathi Murthy

Courtesy to Ms. Guerami

Jillian Neuner '19, Marymount News Editor

On Monday, September 26 during Community, UCLA’s Dean of the Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science, Dr. Jayathi Murthy, presented her work and accomplishments to Marymount students. Dr. Murthy was born and raised in India by influential and encouraging parents who urged her to pursue a career in mechanical engineering. She expressed her admiration for her mother, the first female in her generation to receive a college education. Murthy credited her experience at an all-girls Catholic high school in India to a valuable journey that forged determination and confidence.

As she matured, Dr. Murthy realized her passion for engineering as a creative way to aid others. She embarked on a career of mechanical engineering and received valuable experience from start-up jobs as well as a position at the University of Texas at Austin. In January of 2016, Dr. Murthy began working at UCLA, a highly-ranked and extremely selective engineering school comprised of approximately 5,500 students, of which 25% are women. However, one of Dr. Murthy’s main goals is to elevate the number of women engineers at UCLA to 33%. As a woman who overcame adversity and accomplished remarkable undertakings, Dr. Murthy feels that women should be encouraged to strive for education and success. In particular, she advocates the incorporation of STEM and STEAM programs, such as those at Marymount, into school curriculums, which is instrumental for developing leadership in young women through problem-solving and the application of engineering to better society. Clearly, Dr. Murthy’s echoing message of perseverance indicates the potential for every young woman to pursue a career while feeling confident and empowered.