Music festival face-off: Coachella vs. Stagecoach

Stagecoach Logo (Courtesy of ticketmaster.com)

Chelsea Otto '15, Staff Writer

Coachella and Stagecoach are two music festivals known throughout the Marymount campus and the rest of the world. People wait for months in advance to buy tickets, reserve camping spaces, and book hotels. The sweltering heat and high prices on the festival grounds cannot take away from the excitement of the weekend. Any music lover who has gone to either (or both) of the festivals often say that the weekend was the greatest experience of his or her life.

Coachella as a music festival appeals to many different kinds of people with many different tastes in music. With artists, such as Outkast and Lorde, to DJ’s, such as Calvin Harris and Zedd, featured in this year’s lineup, the crowd of people attending is extremely diverse. The crowds of up to 80,000 people per day flood the grounds for two weekends (neither of which fall on Kingdom Fair this year) battling the heat and each other for standing room in the pit. The crowd members let out their inner indie and express their independence through fun clothing, accessories, such as flower crowns, and body art. Coachella can be an eye opening experience for some, but if it seems a bit intense, or the music scene does not seem appealing, Stagecoach is the way to go.

Stagecoach is a festival that appeals to a certain type of person: a country loving, truck driving kind of person. With the music sticking to the genre of Country music, this year’s lineup consists of mainstream headliners such as Luke Bryan and Hunter Hayes, but also has lesser-known Country artists such as Charlie Worsham and the Sleepy Man Banjo Boys. Though the crowd’s music taste is arguably less diverse, Stagecoach attracts different people from many countries even as far away as Norway! With only one weekend, there are about 45,000 people in attendance each day at Stagecoach. The crowd lets out their inner cowboys, and once a year they get to dust off their cowboy boots and try and remember how to line dance.

Both festivals promise the experience of a lifetime. They are both anxiously awaited and appeal to a large group of people. With Coachella being more diverse, and Stagecoach focusing on Country music, both festivals together offer a getaway that appeals to mostly everyone. Being a biased Country girl myself, I would automatically tell people that Stagecoach is much better than Coachella, but then again, Coachella goers would say the same about Coachella. Whatever your personal taste is, whether it be flower crowns, or cowboy hats, Coachella and Stagecoach both hold unforgettable memories for anyone who attends.