Meet More of Marymount IV

Courtesy of Noel Ermer ’19

Dani Glenn ‘18, Marjorie Talavera ‘18, Staff Writers

Highlighted Staff Member of the Quarter: Ms. Stephanie Guerami

Courtesy of Noel Ermer ’19

Known for her bubbly personality, contagious smile, and creative spirit, Ms. Stephanie Guerami brings a friendly face to the Marketing and Communications Department. Though her initial career plan leaned toward social work, her passion for promoting empowering learning environments ultimately shined through, which led her to find Marymount Los Angeles. Here, she discusses her academic progression, details her discovery of Marymount, and reflects on her life since joining the Marymount community.

Where did you grow up, and what was it like? Where did you go to college and what did you study?

I was born in Tehran, Iran. At the age of 2, my parents fled the country [due to] war, with my sister and I in tow. I spent my childhood in Glendale, CA.

It was interesting seeing my personal growth throughout the years — [I began] with not knowing any English and learning it from Sesame Street to moving into the gifted education program. I [would go onto graduating] undergrad from UCLA with my BA in Psychology. From there, I moved to New York City to further my education at Columbia University, receiving my Masters in Science in Social Work.

What led to your discovery of Marymount?

[After moving back to Los Angeles,] I wanted to have a more direct influence in marketing educational programs that impact our future leaders. There were a number of great schools but there was something particularly special about Marymount: the community. The community of young women who are building their confidence to be future leaders, the faculty and staff who want nothing more than to provide the best education for our girls to thrive, the genuine sisterhood that all the girls have here — it’s infectious.

What is your favorite thing about working on the Marymount campus?

My favorite thing about working at Marymount is getting to see the girls discover who they are, the potential they have, all while building relationships with each other. I love seeing girls grow into the women that they are. Hands down, my favorite part of Marymount is the students.

What would you consider one thing that is lesser known about the faculty/staff at Marymount?

No matter how many years go by, or what new lingo is used (like…finsta?), we were all once in your shoes and can relate to each of your experiences. And, the same sisterhood that you all have with each other, we have a very similar one with one another.

What is one piece of advice that you would give to Marymount girls who wish to enter the field of Marketing/Communications in the future?

Try different areas of marketing. The world is changing and that will directly impact how companies communicate. It’s been said many times, but, again, internships are vital! Use any connection you may have and always be up for an informational interview. Networking is one of the most important things as you navigate through your professional career.  

Do you have any special talents/interesting hobbies that most people don’t know about you?

I played the clarinet for 8 years, I’m super into calligraphy, and I have an amazing Cher impression (that can [also] double as Kermit the frog).

Highlighted Sailor Sister of the Quarter: Krysten Roges

Courtesy of Noel Ermer ‘19

Beloved fellow Sailor, Krysten Roges is a sophomore at Marymount this year who contributes so much to our community. A talented singer, an energetic girl, and a motivated student, Krysten illuminates the room wherever she goes. Here, she gives insight on her life outside of Marymount and her interests overall.

What is your favorite club or organization that you are involved in on campus and why?

I would have to say WE Club, for sure. I love being a part of WE Club because I am able to serve others, participate in events outside of school, fundraise, and raise awareness for different issues around the world.

Apart from school activities, what do enjoy doing in your spare time?

I love singing outside of school! I do a lot of that, actually. I sing national anthems for baseball games.

What has been your most memorable experience in your time at Marymount so far?

I think it would be having the opportunity to make lots of new friends. I came here by myself from my middle school, so I had to make new friends. I was able to have a fresh start and I love my friends now! They’re so supportive and smart.

Is there anywhere you’re looking forward to traveling someday?

I have two places. The first is Cuba because that’s where my dad is from, so I really want to go back and see all of the heritage and culture they have in Cuba. I also want to go to Jerusalem because Ms. Kim really inspired me to go when she showed us all these fun pictures in Theology class. I really want to learn about Jesus’ life in depth and be able to see it in person.

Anything you’re looking forward to for next year?

I think to be able to bond more with my class. I feel like in the first two years of high school, we’re still in distinct friend groups. But, I heard that junior retreat is a really great time to bond more with each other and talk to people you don’t really talk to.

Favorite movie?

Beauty and the Beast (2017)! I saw it three times and it was so good I cried. All three times. It was amazing.

Do you have any advice for the freshmen next year?

My advice to the freshmen for next year is not to be scared to ask for help. When I came as a freshman, I was really shy, really scared to ask for help, and being the only one coming from my school, really nervous. That’s why I think asking for help and asking for guidance would be the best advice I could give them.