Marymount’s Success at the Choir Competition

Courtesy of Jillian Neuner ‘19

Courtesy of Jillian Neuner ‘19

Courtesy of Jillian Neuner ‘19

Jillian Neuner ‘19, Marymount News Section Editor

On April 28, 2017, the Marymount Advanced Choir Honors class, as well as the High C’s, attended a singing competition at Fullerton College where they competed against many other high schools. After the competition, the girls took advantage of their surroundings and visited Disneyland, where the winners would later be announced in a separate auditorium. Last year, Marymount also won the gold title at the annual choir competition, so they were placed in a higher division this year. Despite the increase in difficult competition, the event was successful for our Marymount girls, as the High C’s acapella group won third place, and the Advanced Choir Honors class won second place in another category! The Marymount choral and acapella groups began preparing since the beginning of second semester, and now it is evident that all the preparation, rehearsals, and polishing were well worth it!

Sophomore Noel Ermer, a member of the talented High C’s a capella group, thought that their winning song was “In my Life” by the Beatles, and she said, “Our soloist, Sarah Gill, was absolutely phenomenal. She really did a great job.” Noel also reminisces about winning the honor of third place at the competition, and she recalls, “There was a sense of accomplishment holding the second and third place trophies we received. The choir and High C’s owe our success to our wonderful senior leaders, Kristiane and Sloane, as well as our director, Mr. Conley.” As Noel said, this event would not have been possible without the dedication and vision of Mr. Conley, Kristiane, and Sloane!

Furthermore, another sophomore, Maya Thompson, who competed with the High C’s remarks, “I really enjoyed this experience because it allowed for a sense of community between the classes coming together through music. It was powerful and inspirational, and I’m glad I could be part of it!” With all of the rehearsing, preparation, and fine-tuning, the members of each choral group truly bonded throughout the year, and their positive attitudes shined at this culmination of the year.

Overall, the Marymount High C’s and Advanced Choir Honors class worked diligently to produce wonderful songs, and we should be proud of our fellow classmates for earning these honors!

Courtesy of Jillian Neuner ‘19